Chapter:4

I pulled up in front of my parents house. I got out as my mom came out to greet me. "Oh my girl!" I hugged her before noticing my friends behind her. I let her go before hugging Ace and the rest of them. Then dad pulled up. "You did great at qualifier one girl!" He said as I ran to hug him. Then our rodeo coach and friends' parents pulled up. "What's next?" Ace asked. "I find out whether or not I go onto the second qualifier." I answered. "Let's go practice!" Ace shouted. He grabbed my gear and ran for the ring. "Guess I'm on bronc patrol." Dad said shaking his head. "I got some tips from some pros on how to get in." I said to dad as we walked to the ring. "You might wanna take him." Dad said pointing to Ace.

"That would be a thrill of a lifetime for him." I said. "Take him to one qualifier. His boss fired him for no reason. He came to me asking if I needed any help looking for a job. I told him that if he worked hard for a week I'd give him the job of cleaning pens, saddling at rodeos, loading and unloading, you know he was overjoyed when I told him." Dad said. "I'll ask him if he wants to." I said once there. Dad sent a bronc into the chutes. Dad showed Ace how to put my rigging on then load the horse into the chute.

Ace is like the son my was dad never able to have. I got into the chute and up on the rigging. Dad taught Ace how to make sure the rigging was secure. "Ready?" Dad asked. I nodded. "Pull the chute rope." Dad called out. Ace opened the chute and the horse bucked out. He got up beside the open chute. After the air horn went off Cash rode out on his horse to get me off. I got onto the back of his horse. Once the horse was rounded up dad showed Ace how to put my bronc saddle and halter on.

I got into the chute and situated I nodded. The chute was opened. I rode the crow hopping/bucking horse until hearing the air horn. Cash went back out and got me once more. The bronc was rounded up. "Dal go show Ace how to feed the boys." Dad said after I had my gear off. I nodded. We walked along to the feed shed. "Are you enjoying the pros?" He asked. "Yeah. So far." I said. "That's good. Did your dad tell you bout my boss being an arse and firing me?" He asked. "Yeah. He also told me about your new job opportunity." I said.

"Yeah. At the moment I'm in training." He said. I showed him how much each horse got daily then set out to give them their grain. "So when I go to the next qualifier, would you like to go with me?" I asked. He looked at me. "Wait what?" He asked. "Would you like to go to the second qualifier with me?" I asked. "You serious?" He asked. "Well the others aren't around and your the only one I see so yes." I said. "Oh my gosh. Yes. When is it?" He asked. "After my next rodeo." I said. "Awesome. Thank you." He said before picking me up.

         I loaded my camper up

I loaded my camper up. The second qualifier is the one I'm heading to. I made it this far and I hope to make it to finals. Ace got in the front seat next to me. "Ready?" I asked. "Definitely. Let's go." He said. We got onto the road driving to the next location. We went grocery shopping before heading to the grounds. Once there I parked on the edge of the parking then got out. "Stay put." I told Ace. "Can't I go with you to sign in?" He asked. "Fine. Come on." I said. He followed right beside me. I checked in and paid my entry fee.

As we were walking out Kollin said hi. Then Tuf greeted me. "Nice to see you here." He said. "It's nice to be here." I said. "Ropers?" Ace asked quietly after Tuf walked away. "There's more. At the last qualifier I was right between Bobby Mote and Spencer Wright." I said. "Ok I want to meet Mote." Ace said. "Give it time. I'll let you go with me behind the chutes." I said. "Alright." He said. "Fan boy." I said. "Only for rodeoing." He said. I laughed at his remark.

Once back at my camper I moved my halter, rigging and saddle to below the table/lower bed. My button ups and jeans hung on the bar in the storage area. "There is a portable toilet in the shower." I said. "So we don't have to leave the camper for any bathroom breaks."

"Ok. Because I really don't want to let anyone see anything." He said sitting down. "Your something else Ace." I sat getting up on my bed. "Hey I grew up with you. That's the only evidence I need." He said. "True." I answered. There was a knock at the door. I jumped from my spot and went the few feet to the door. I opened it. It was Bobby and Charlie. "What's up?" I asked. "Ready for the rodeo?" Bobby asked. "Definitely. I can't wait to get out and ride!" I said. "Come on in." I said. Ace turned from the tv to see who it was. I got back up on my bed leaving more space. Ace got up there with me. "Who's your friend?" Bobby asked. "My friend Ace. I've known him since preschool." I said.

"Cool. Nice to meet you Ace." Bobby said. Charlie had already sat down to make more room. Bobby sat down next to him. Ace kept staring. I kneed him in the thigh. He looked at me before returning to face Bobby and Charlie. "You too sir." He said. "So what did you do for sports in high school?" Bobby asked him. "I did bareback for all of high school, two years of football and four years of archery." Ace said. "So you watched her ride during high school?" Bobby asked. "Yup including eighth grade." Ace said nodding. "Any pro rodeos in there?" Charlie asked. "Actually yes. When my dad would take the broncs to pro rodeos I got to compete with professionals and learn a few things from them." I answered.

"Of course Ace here went and practically was my body guard when I was waiting for my turn to ride." I added. "Had to. Most of the cowboys were already drunk off their arses." Ace said. "Yeah. My dad definitely made you stay close to me." I said. "Would you two like to join us after the rodeo tonight for food?" Bobby asked. "Sure." Ace and I said together.

Charlie looked up from his phone. "Any roping in those years?" He asked. "Only a year. I did round up for the coach and had to rope a few in that year." Ace told him. Charlie nodded. "How much more time do we have until the first round?" Bobby asked Charlie. "Bout three hours." Charlie answered.