CHAPTER 5 - Ambushes

"AAGH!" screamed a soldier as the Flood combat form jumped onto him.

Master Chief aimed his assault rifle and shot until the Flood was slump. He heaved the Flood off the soldier and shot the head off the body.

"Are you alright?" master Chief asked as he noticed the gash on the soldier's arm

"I-I'm f-fine." Stammered the soldier.

The other soldiers of Red B helped him up while Master Chief looks around.

"It's quiet," he said.

"Too quiet." Cortana noted.

Suddenly there was a cry of a Flood and Master Chief saw hundreds of Flood coming up out of the gorge.

"Come on," he said to the soldiers calmly, "we must attract them up the mountain. Away from the town."

They agreed and started to shoot at the Flood and running up the hill. A soldier carefully helped the hurt soldier into the town.

"Clear," a soldier said to Master Chief and he grabbed a frag grenade, took out the pin, and threw it at the Flood that was streaming up the hill.

BOOOM!

The explosion sent a lot of Flood around everywhere and the smoke camouflaged Red B and also distracted the Flood for a second.

"Let's keep going." Master Chief ordered.

They went over a cliff face only to find a bunch of Carrier Forms settling down and exploding, which released the Infection Forms.

"You keep the horde chasing us away while you," he pointed at a soldier who stepped forward, "and I will hold off these guys."

Master Chief turned around and grabbed his shotgun, cocked it, and started shooting. The other soldier did too.

BOOM! BOOM! Exploded the shotguns as Master Chief and the soldier hold off the Infection Forms.

"Master Chief!" yelled a soldier who was holding back the horde of Flood, "there's too many of them. We can't hold them back for much longer.

"You," Master Chief answered the soldier, "help him!"

The soldier turned around and started shooting again.

Master Chief took the soldier's place and looked forward.

The horde of Flood did not stop pouring in. Master Chief quickly pulled out four more grenades, and took out their pins.

He threw the grenades at four different places. Then came the four explosions that killed many more Flood and when the smoke was finally clear, he saw that there were no more Flood pouring up the mountain.

But there were still hundreds more to come.

"Sir," yelled a soldier from behind, "help!"

Master Chief turned around and noticed that more of the horde was coming down from higher ground. They were surrounded in all ways.

"This is bad," Cortana remarked silently.