II

In the absence of love, there is nothing worth fighting for.

- Elijah Wood

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

- I Corinthians 13:13

_________________________________________________________

     "Legolas, please stop putting that in your mouth, you will choke!"

     "Why, Nana? It makes me feel like a king. You know, like the stuff that Ada always has that I do not get."

      "You do not get any because it will make you get out of control. It is normal for elves to have a connection to the earth, but no one eats dirt because it looks like food."

     "Maybe I am different. I will be the first elf to eat dirt. If I pour water on it, like this, I can make a cake. Nana, if I leave it in the sun will it bake like a cake?"

      "Ai, you are strange, ion nin."

      "Please do not tap my nose, Nana, for then you are strange."

     At that moment, the queen laughed. And just as quickly as she had laughed she sobered up at the sight of her husband.

_________________________________________________________

THRANDUIL'S POV

     I thought of the last time I saw her. She was laughing and playing with Legolas, a sight that made my heart burst with joy. That was the day she left us. I can still see her eyes dancing, full of love for the elfling before her. Well, I thought she loved him. I thought she loved me. Why else would she have married me? She told me she loved me, she even acted it. I can no longer think or say her name, for it brings too much pain to my heart. The sound of her name tears at my innermost being, at my failure of holding a family together. Anyone would think I would despise her now, with everything within me. But I cannot. I cannot bring myself to hate the elleth that brought me the most joy and pain anyone ever has. I went mad with grief when she left. A group of rebels schemed against me once, using her as bait to lure me in. Unfortunately, they did not really have her, they only planned to usurp the throne. Call me a terrible king, but I was saddened when I had done away with those men, for they brought me hope that she may come back while they lived. I do not know what I would do if she returned to me, nor do I wish to think of it, for I know she will never come back.

     At least I bear some sort of hope that Legolas will return to me at the end of his journey. He should not be away longer than two months, which is not very long at all. Knowing him, he will take his sweet time coming back, savouring every moment of freedom given to him. When I told him that he shall have no falling in love with random ellith I was jesting, seeing that he has told me he loves Tauriel, yet feel as if something is off with them. I do not think she is right for him, but I have not the heart to tell him or Tauriel, no heart to break both their hearts again. With that revelation, my once humorous words have become serious.

     Choosing to not dwell on such thoughts, I walk to the stables, knowing Legolas and Tauriel will be there. I know I told him I would not see him off, I have decided I will go. I have a terrible feeling that the elf that I will see ride off to Rivendell will not be the same elf that returns to me. If he even returns.

     What is happening to me? All my thoughts have taken such strange turns today. First, I sit in my study, brooding over the last time I saw my wife, then I doubt the love my son and Tauriel have, and now I am acting as if Legolas is going to die. I believe I am going crazy, but I cannot believe that my thoughts are mere insanity. Maybe it is parental instinct that knows that Legolas will change, that all my suspicions will be confirmed, that there is more to Legolas' journey than meets the eye. And though I wish that my little leaf could be an elfling once more, or that he will not change, I know it is for the best. Today I will say goodbye forever to this Legolas, for the one who returns will not be the one I see off today. However much that pains me does not matter, for I love my son, and to love is to do what is best for him, and I know that this journey will do him good. I barely missed his departure for he has already begun riding.