X

How beautiful is death, when earn'd by virtue!

Who would not be that youth? What pity is it

That we can die but once to serve our country.

- Joseph Addison, Cato

Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

- Luke 17:33

_________________________________________________________

This was it. Legolas was going to pluck up all his courage and submit his application to join the Forest Guard. Whether his father approved it or not was completely irrelevant. Applicants are placed on a waiting list for around two years before being accepted, and Legolas was more than happy to wait around for his probable induction. Especially when it meant he would be allowed outside the palace regularly. The prince took the much awaited stroll to the study of Bercalion, who trained the new recruits, and handed him the paper.

"Prince Legolas. What a pleasure! Do you perceive that your father will approve it?" he asked.

Legolas laughed.

"I do not know. It is possible that he will, but also possible he will not. He has been awfully protective of me. I suppose I would not be surprised if he rejected it or put it on hold."

"You know your father well, Legolas."

"Yes, I do. I must be on my way. Hannon le, Bercalion."

Well, it was done. Legolas was worried that his father would lecture him or reject it immediately. Speaking of his father, he was watching Legolas the whole time, and he knew what the ellon felt, as he had been quite like Legolas once. Of course, the prince did not know Thranduil was there, and succeeded in walking straight into his father.

"Legolas. What do you think you are doing, ion nin?"

The prince swallowed nervously and opened his mouth.

"I am sorry if I have displeased you. Since I was an elfling I desired to join the guard, and I-well, I submitted my application," he said, scrutinizing the toes of his boots.

"Be not ashamed, little leaf. I once was like you. But warfare has brought me pain, pain that I do not want you to ever have to face."

"I understand," he said, though he really did not. Legolas was tired of being shut up within the palace walls, training often, but never putting that training to use.

"Just remember, I will keep yours on hold the longest. You could not hold it off for some time?"

"Ada, I do not want to spend my days cooped up in this palace. The Forest Guard needs recruits. There are no impending threats to the kingdom, Ada, therefore the chance of my injury is low."

"I know. I know. Please think of it though, Legolas."

Thranduil could hold it off no longer. His son was too set on joining the guard, and within two or three years he would most likely have to approve it. What would he do it Legolas died or injured himself? The Elvenking was not prone to blaming himself for the tragedies he had seen; that is, until his wife left. Everything seemed to be piled on him now, and that was not entirely false. He had loads of responsibility, yes; but he was not responsible for the horrible things in his life. Thranduil could not help but blame himself. He was convinced he could have prevented all the pain and anguish he and his son had faced.

Now Legolas was adamant in claiming his position in the guard, and he put himself at risk. His wife had always told him that sheltering his son would not always prove beneficial, and he has always agreed. The time had now come to let his son have more freedom, it seemed.