i

After Wind and Fire: An Epilogue, part i

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies

Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.

- Proverbs 31:10, 29

________________________________________________

The sun dawned on Imladris, casting soft amber rays of light on the beautiful architecture of Rivendell. Light glinted off the softly falling leaves that danced in the wind. A cool autumn breeze fluttered about, rustling the trees' branches and slipping through the windows of those who slept. The air was sweet as always, the grass beaded with dew that was so delicately hanging onto each slender blade of grass, dripping from the leaves, and gilding autumn's flowers with a wonderful silver glow.

The hour was early, and none stirred save one elleth who could not find rest. Her long brown hair was flowing down her back, the wind blowing through it. She walked around with joy, her steps almost as a dance. The gown she wore was simple, not rugged nor intricate. Barefoot, she stepped softly through the grass, lost in her thoughts, dreaming, dreaming as she never had before. If anything, she was living in her dream, but still her mind took her further, to wonderful and great places.

All through the night she had paced this way. When evening had fallen the day before, she cast her head down to her pillow, hoping to sleep, but none came, and so she wandered about her home, then came to the gardens of Imladris, meandering her way about, hoping he might come and join her, but he did not.

This disheartened her a bit, but only minutely so, for there was joy in her heart, a great joy that spread through her body, thrilling her and bringing more life.

Oh, life was so wonderful she could scream! She could dance! She might just burst into tears of happiness! Now, screaming was not an ideal action in that moment, seeing that the sun had only just shown her face and most were still in their midnight reverie, but dancing, she could do that in abundance. With light steps she danced around, a smile on her face. Lithe were her movements, and she then closed her eyes, her lashes fluttering the slightest bit, and she imagined he was there, holding her close. Oh, yes, life was wonderful!

With great anticipation she looked to what the day might bring, what wonders might be in store. She listened to the Song of the trees, wondering what the entirety of Eru's grand song was like. Oh, her very soul was enchanted with joy!

As the sun cast its first glow, and the sky was illuminated with brilliant shades of crimson and purple and orange, as the first bird chirped a song and found its worm, the elleth thought she must be the only one stirring at this hour. But she was wrong.

For one ellon, who also could find no rest on his pillow, was more than awake. Since the twelfth hour he had been looking out his window, dreaming, his mind full of thoughts, wondrous ones that brought a great smile upon his handsome face.