V

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

- Psalm 51:17

"And if you couldn't be loved, the next best thing was to be let alone."

- L.M. Montgomery

_________________________________________________________

Thranduil Oropherion sat in his father's study, irritated beyond words. His long body lay slouched in his seat, and he replied with a bored tone to everything his father said.

"Thranduil, I want you to go to tonight's feast."

"No, ada. I do not want to go. I am tired of all your blasted councillors having daughters who will not stop dropping hints to marry them every chance they get. They know very well elves should marry for love, and that they do not love me, but who knew ellith could be so power-hungry."

"Oh, yes. But someday, you will be king, and you will have to go to every feast, ion nin."

"But ada, please? I promise not to sneak out if I do not have to go to this feast!"

"No. I shouldn't have to bargain with you. I am your father, and you will listen to me. You are going to the feast tonight."

"Ada, Bercalion said that he needed help on tonight's watch. Can I help him?"

"Thranduil, please. I am done with your begging. You sound like an elfling. You are a prince, and the people love you! You are going, and that is final!" Oropher's voice boomed.

Defeated, Thranduil hung his head and grumbled, "Yes, Ada."

"There's my good son! Now run along, I need you to be there one hour early to speak with some guests."

The disgruntled prince stalked out of his father's study, dreading the day he would be king. He only hoped he would marry before he became king, for that would be absolutely terrible if he did not. The power-hungry elves and their daughters would further their advances. Thranduil cared not for power, and disliked his father's response to every adventure he proposed. Oropher always said, 'You will be king someday. That is why you cannot do what the other elves do.'

He did not want to be different than them. The weight of being the Crown Prince of Mirkwood was enough. Sometimes, all he wished for was to be a normal ellon, not bearing the weight of a people on his head. Thranduil groaned to himself, and flung the doors to his chambers open. The prince plopped himself down on the nearest seat and decided he would be rebellious and waste time by sitting there staring into space.

Hours passed, and Oropher realised his son was nowhere to be seen. He sent the cook up to fetch him, and the cook was greeted by an extremely exasperated prince who did not wish to speak to anyone at that moment in time. Much to the cook's surprise, Thranduil complied and was present in the dinner hall within ten minutes.

"Look, 'tis the prince! He has decided to join us!" Oropher cried.

"Mhm," Thranduil muttered, looking unimpressed, refusing to make eye contact
Suddenly, the prince's eyes shot upward, and his icy grey eyes met the warmer eyes of Bregoliel, daughter of Revion, his father's most trusted advisor. Strangely enough, they continued to gaze into each other's eyes until someone cleared their throat.

Embarrassed, the prince blushed and fumbled with the hem of his sleeves. Everyone smirked, for the prince was usually very relaxed and never flustered, much unlike now. "Thranduil, this is Bregoliel. She is training to be a healer and will be helping in the palace. "

That was most unheard of, a noble elleth training to be a healer! Thranduil knew he would be great friends with her, for she was unlike any noble lady of the court had ever met. Maybe even more, he thought, then quickly discarded such thoughts.

He cursed himself for finding hope far too quickly. She was not the one, he was sure of it. However enchanting her eyes and personality may be, it was clear to him that Bregoliel was not his beloved, nor would she ever be. But princes can be rather idiotic, they excel in lying to themselves. Dreadful talent, really.

Thranduil proved himself to be king of lying to oneself, for he found himself growing nearer and nearer to Bregoliel in friendship. Her manner of speech enchanted the Crown Prince, and he found himself getting lost in her deep blue eyes.

Bregoliel was not resistant to such charms either. The mere sound of Thranduil's voice would put a spell on her, and she would stare dreamily at him whenever he visited her. It was clear they both were very fond of one another, but, of course, they doubted themselves. Thranduil still told himself every day that they were only the best of friends, and Bregoliel always made sure to tell herself the same.

All that changed when the prince lost his self-control and kissed her at one of those blasted feasts, much to his own surprise. Oropher looked on with a smile, knowing his son would forever love feasts after that day. It was then that it became clear to them. They were not growing nearer in friendship, but in love. All it took was someone to cave, and it everything fell into place.
_________________________________________________________