XXX

These rooms are dark now

These halls are hollow

And so am I....

It's written on my soul

Hope's what You gave.

- "Hope Is What We Crave", for KING & COUNTRY

These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

- John 16:33

__________________________________________________

There are some things that are hoped for, though never do they seem to come to us as we might wish them to. Sometimes they are brought to us in ways that hold pain and anguish, bittersweet and full of sorrow. These dreams that had been dreamed so often are fulfilled, but the price that was paid along with the fulfilling of dreams is high.

The Prince of Greenwood always dreamed of marrying the most beautiful elleth he ever laid his eyes upon, and now it was sure to happen. He would certainly marry Bregoliel, daughter of Revion, but there was not all joy that he would find at his return to Greenwood. A safe and unharmed kingdom he would return to, one now full of peace and no more in constant danger of the attacks of Sauron. Thranduil would return to his betrothed, but with a heavy heart, the worst memories and images of war ingrained into his mind.

Dead men and elves in every direction, and those who were sure to die but still lived groaning in pure anguish, wavering on the edge of life and death.

But worst of all was his father.

The scream Oropher gave as an orc chopped him, the king, down as if he were a young tree that all were jealous of, tormented Thranduil's thoughts, for he still believed he could have made it before he had to watch his father die. Blood caked his fair elven face, marring the symbol of majesty and strength that had once graced the halls of Greenwood's grand palace. His body could barely be recognised as that of the great Sindar king, no longer ruling over anyone or anything, motionless, dead, spirit gone and resting in the Halls of Mandos.

Thranduil was followed by what remained of Greenwood's army, and though there was great victory, there also was great sorrow and immeasurable hurt. Wounds that would take ages to heal completely were inflicted upon many of the soldiers, the former prince being one of them.

No longer would he be a prince, nor addressed as such. He was king now, ruler of the Woodland Realm, the new symbol of courage and strength for Greenwood.

Dreams will sometimes materialise before your eyes, and much joy will you take from it. But under that joy might lie pain, for the occurrence that allowed your dream to come true brings hurt and suffering.

The now king would live his fantasy of marrying the elleth he always wished for, but a weight would he bear on his soul. His father had perished, now a rotting corpse on the desolated fields that surrounded Barad-dur.

So it happened that one thing would come to him sooner than he anticipated, just as one thing was taken from him as he never did anticipate.

With a heart that grew far more leaden as the days went on, Thranduil Oropherion rode back to Greenwood, his father's-no, his men behind him, victory in their minds and sorrow in their hearts. War is unmerciful to all, tearing away those brotherhoods formed, removing fathers from their families and sons from their mothers and fathers. And in some terribly tragic cases, daughters are ripped from their families, children, and husbands with no grace or mercy shown to them.