XXXIV

A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps.

- Proverbs 16:9

 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

- Colossians 3:14

And remember, as it was written, to love another person is to see the face of God.

- Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

________________________________________________

"Ada!"

"Yes, Legolas?"

"I know I have pestered you often of this, and most of the times–all of the times I asked you said no, but–" began he, but the prince's voice trailed off.

"Go on, ion nin," his father urged.

"Well–I, uh, I really did wanted to– I meant to say I really did want to, but I do not know if I wish to ask now," Legolas nervously stumbled over his words, hope bubbling up inside him.

"What did you want to do, Legolas?" Thranduil asked. The prince remained silent. "Tell me, else I be wont to refuse your request entirely."

Uncomfortable and uneasy, the prince shifted his weight on his feet and wrung his hands as he held them behind his back.

"Are you afraid, Legolas?"

The ellon nodded, silent and not responding.

"What do you fear?"

"That you will say no," he replied.

The Elvenking's laughter pealed through the room, and Legolas looked down in both hurt and embarrassment.

"Ai, ion nin, I was not laughing at you. I laughed because I thought once more of the times when I was quite like you are. 'No' as an answer is not a thing to fear. It is not enjoyable, but one must learn to accept it. But go on, for I would like to hear your request."

"Would you allow me to spend a time outside, in the gardens, alone?"

"Why, yes! But why must you find it such a treacherous experience to merely speak a request to me, ion nin?"

"Because I fear you," said Legolas meekly.

"You fear me? No, my son, you should not fear me. Respect me, yes; obey me, yes; but never do I wish for you to fear me. I am your father, there is nothing in me that should cause you to be afraid." The king looked at his son with love, ashamed that his actions had caused his own son to be afraid of him. "What causes you to fear me, ion nin?" he asked, his voice low and worried.

"You become angry when I ask you if some things. When I ask to do something alone you become upset and irritated," the prince explained, not flinching, though his eyes glistened with tears.

"Legolas, there is never a time when I am angry with you, only with your actions. But your requests to do things alone do not bring me anger, but fear. I fear what horrible things may befall you. Do you understand?" he asked, and Legolas shook his head. Thranduil continued,"If any harm should come to you, I would never forgive myself for allowing you to bring that danger upon yourself. But there yet are those things that I cannot take from you, things that I have not the power to dictate."

"Yes, Ada."

"Do you see now? Please, my son, I beg you to not fear me, nor be afraid of my anger."

"I see now," the prince said, and a smile crossed his face.

The prince again smiled at his father before turning on his heel and walking to the outside of the halls.