XIV

Perhaps, after all, romance did not come into one's life with pomp and blare, like a gay knight riding down; perhaps it crept to one's side like an old friend through quiet ways; perhaps it revealed itself in seeming prose, until some sudden shaft of illumination flung athwart its pages betrayed the rhythm and the music, perhaps . . . perhaps . . . love unfolded naturally out of a beautiful friendship, as a golden-hearted rose slipping from its green sheath.

-L.M. Montgomery

Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it.

-Luke 17:33

Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it: if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, it would utterly be contemned.

-Song of Solomon 8:7

Why do such absurd things happen? Such questions as this cannot be answered easily, and this is exactly the thought that ran through Thranduil's mind. Why in Arda would Legolas decide to court Tauriel? Not that there was anything wrong with her, she was very nice, he supposed, but she just did not fit with Legolas. Thranduil had only allowed Legolas to court her in hopes he would understand that she was not the one for him. There had been nothing going on between the two, nothing Thranduil could foresee. Legolas treated her no different than a captain of the guard, so where had this so-called love come from? If anything, it was infatuation, or even nothing being forced into something.

None of his observant guards had even noticed a spark of even interest between them, always pure friendship and comradery. They spoke often, but it never came to anyone's attention. In fact, Tauriel had seemed quite taken by that one guard, whose name escaped Thranduil's mind. Not that she loved him, but if Tauriel would court anyone, it had not seemed that it would be Legolas. The Elvenking never saw such a match coming his way. He cared for his son, but knew not how to tell him he did not believe Tauriel was for him.

The king of Mirkwood wished for his wife to be here, for she would have known what must be done. Thranduil never was one to give advice in such matters, while Bregoliel was the most observant of ellith. She knew who loved one another before even they knew, and she had passed that observancy to Legolas. It appeared evident that Legolas' abilities were not at great as hers.

To Thranduil, Legolas and Tauriel seemed far too much alike. They made great friends, but never had worked well as a team, a key component of marriages. Even on patrol Legolas and Tauriel did not go to together, their wills collided far too much, and they were never able to successfully complete missions as they should. Thranduil shook his head. Legolas would come around soon, he decided. He would not interfere unless necessary, and he was sure his son would soon realise his folly.

------

Legolas had finally done it, yet he was still confused with himself. Was she really the one? Never had she expressed interest in him, never had he even noticed her in that way. He never once considered her as anything more than a friend. A friend she was, and a friend she should stay. But again, she had said yes. It possibly could have been meant to be, but he never thought of courting her until one of his friends had brought up such a possibility. Legolas was two thousand years old, and still unmarried. This may be his only chance to start the family he always dreamed of.

Still he doubted this all, for it seemed not right. It was as if he was trying to pick an unripened fruit that was not so bitter. Was this a red flag? But surely she would be the one! Whom else would he marry if not her?

When he confronted Tauriel about courtship, it had seemed everything he had wanted. He swept the elleth off her feet with words, and graciously she agreed. That was how it should be, should it not? Never had he foreseen a relationship with her, but he may have been wrong. That nagging in his mind was merely his nervousness, nothing more. This was what he had dreamed of, and now he had essentially secured his future.