III

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.

-  Psalm 19:1

     The mountains are calling, and I must go.

-  John Muir

______________________________________________________

     King Thranduil, Queen Bregoliel, and Prince Legolas of the Woodland Realm sat at the head of a grand table. Thranduil was, once again, holding one of his famed feasts, the ones filled with music, laughter, and Dorwinion wine of the highest potency. These were the times when the King's halls would be crawling with drunk elves, and the Queen would have to take Legolas to bed early while his father argued with his wife, saying he should be allowed to stay. These arguments always ended in favour of the queen, for she argued with sense, while Thranduil was already tipsy. Today's feast was not much different.

"Galion is already drunk, Thranduil, it is time for Legolas to be put to bed. This is no place for innocent elflings."

"Melamin, Galion cannot hold his alcohol. He is always drunk first. Galion is not even a vulgar drunk. Legolas can stay."

"Ada, Nana, why is Galion going on and on about cave trolls swimming with fish? He usually only talks about himself!"

The king and queen shared amused glances, for nothing got past the net of their little leaf. He was an observant little one.

"Ada, Galion is telling me about his adventures! Can I go on an adventure? They sound fun," Legolas squealed.

"This is why he needs to go to bed. You explicitly told Galion not to speak of adventure with Legolas, else he become like you did. Always longing to go outside the borders, and suffering great consequences for it. You and I both know Galion has no filter when drunk," the queen argued.

"But Bregoliel, all the other elflings get to stay, why shouldn't he? He is no different than them!"

"Yes, he is not. Except that is only when you omit one large detail. No other elfling here is the heir to Eryn Galen's throne."

"Ai, you are persuasive. But we cannot shelter him forever."

"There, you are right, Thranduil. I am sure we have discussed this at every feast you have ever had since Legolas was born. And you have many feasts. We cannot keep him here too long, though. It would not be good for him to see his father drunk," she smirked at him.

As expected, the prince put up a huge fit when told he had to go to bed, saying if his ada was up, why couldn't he be up. He was finally shoved into his bed, but not without a huge fight and a swat from his frazzled mother.

______________________________________________________

LEGOLAS' POV

I have ridden horses before. I have trained before. The first time I did all of those things I felt a thrill that spread from my head to my toes, yet none of those feelings were as strong as the one I feel now.

I cannot explain the joys of being on the road, knowing I will go past these borders, and not be left behind at the clearing. I hated that clearing for the longest time, for whenever I saw it, it always meant I would have to turn back and go back to the palace, or I was one step closer to losing Tauriel to the affections of a dwarf. But now, I think I love that clearing of trees at the end of the forest, because the next time I see it, it means I will really be on my way away from Mirkwood, the place I love dearly, but have been far too long.