XXXIII

Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

- Psalm 37:4

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.

- Dr. Seuss

________________________________________

Legolas lay under the cool shade of a tree, taking in the sights of the lush, green forest that was so full of life. So grand it was, that never could any harm befall it. It was strong and great. He could listen to the trees' song, let it fill him, and let his own part in the grand Song intertwine with that of the trees. The world itself was as a song to the young prince of Greenwood. And what an exciting song it was!

He was glad to be training to some day join the guard, he had made friends, and now he was dawdling about after a long day. All day was spent in training and studies, and to be free again in the outdoors was most welcome to Legolas.

The prince picked a young, small flower from the young tree near him, for spring was at hand and swept through the forest beautifully. The deciduous trees bloomed in lovely shades of pink, red, and purple, while others still bloomed brilliantly white. A soft breeze floated through the branches, taking some flowers with it. Legolas twirled the flower in his hand, fascinated with the way its petals flared out, and how delicate its stem appeared, though it was strong. A sweet smell was evident in the air, coming from all the wonderful blossoms from every tree and plant. The blossoms of the trees were not the only treasures the forest held. Some were hidden, but Legolas knew just how one might find them. He leapt to his feet and took hold of the nearest branch. With agility and a quick step, he pulled himself onto it. A few branches more he climbed, as easily as if it were walking to him, before he caught sight of a clump of twigs.

There were two birds in this clump, clearly mates. Legolas smiled to himself. Soon there would be baby birds, tweeting happily. The prince sat down on a branch and looked out on the forest. Revelling in this beauty, he looked all around him, drinking in the sight of violets and other wonderful things.

This all was meant for the Children of Iluvatar to care for, and it all pointed to the One who orchestrated its very existence.

Legolas was never able to quite comprehend how some Men were so easily ensnared by Morgoth, even to the place where they might worship him in the place of Eru. The prince knew this was wrong, but when the creation itself seemed to sing to its Maker, Legolas could not understand why they turned their faces away from the One who was the reason they existed.

Surely they did not forget that Eru was the one who made them in the beginning, that He was the one whose fingerprint was shown throughout the world. Maybe it was merely that they were trapped by the empty promises made by Morgoth, taken by the half-truths evil will tell. Whatever it was, Legolas would never know, for the allegiance of Elves is not so easily swayed as that of Men.

Life was a thing the prince had yet to fully understand, for not every aspect of it had come to him. He did not busy himself with fancies of his faraway future, only with things that could be accomplished now, like his training for the Guard. Such a thing was likely now, and he would pursue it. Adventure was the only thing that loomed in the distance, something he wished to grasp and experience.

Then there was love. Legolas did not think often of this, though it did cross his mind at times. He knew of the wonders that it was, and the joy it can bring someone when it finds them. In this now, he only knew the love of a father and was content to keep it so.

But on this lovely spring day, he chose to ponder it. When might it come to him? What would she be like? What would she look like? In the end, the prince knew that it mattered not of her outward appearance, for only her inner character would show beauty. As prince, he would be expected to marry, and though his father promised to never arrange a marriage, he still feared such a horror might befall him. An arranged marriage would be a terror, for that was contrary to how elves were meant to be.