iv

After Wind and Fire: an Epilogue, part iv

Behold, the LORD'S hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear:

- Isaiah 59:1

...for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

- Matthew 17:20

_______________________________________

With carts packed and trunks filled, a group of elves stood before the forest, waiting to embark on a long journey to Ithilien. Plans for houses were found in each elf's luggage, and seeds for crops were carried along. Many had come who bore skills in the arts, something that would serve well for trade. Supplies were many, and it was made sure that none would starve on this road.

Authiel stood in the doorway of her husband's former bedchamber, a smile on her face and an ache in her heart. She had come to love the forest of Greenwood, its king and queen becoming dear to her heart as her second parents. Oh, and little Limwen who was so precious and innocent. Limwen was such a dear that Authiel began to long for children of her own. Nauriel had become the dearest of friends to her, and together they had spoken and pored over books and that sort. Anessen reminded her of her departed brother, a comforting thing, though she still wept inside for him.

Now she must leave them all, just as she had begun to know and love them. It pained her, yes, but it was indeed a new beginning, a different journey that she must undertake. And she would not be alone, for Legolas should be with her at all times.

She leaned her body limply on the doorpost, taking in the rooms for what would be the last time in a long while. Her thoughts travelled to all the things she had seen in the last few years, and she marveled at it all.

Lost in her mind, she failed to notice Thranduil as he approached his son's chambers.

"Authiel, iell nin, Legolas is searching for you."

She flinched in surprise, then upon noticing her father in law, wrapped her arms around him suddenly.

"I shall miss you, adar. You have been as a second father to me, and for that I am grateful, for I have been without a father for far too long. Thank you for accepting me as your daughter in the way you have. I regret that there is no other way that I might repay you for your sacrifice. It will not be the same in a land without you, for I have grown to love you as I did my own father."

The Elvenking found himself tearing at her words, for they warmed his heart and brought him gladness that he might influence another's life so, for the better.

"You have again brought great joy to my son, it is I that should be thanking you. I wish you the best in all, and I regret that I should not have known you as well as I should. May the grace of the Valar and the Father of All be with you, daughter."