XXVI

All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

- Madeline L'Engle

I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

- Psalm 34:1

______________________________________________________________

"Thranduil?" a little whisper came, reaching the young prince's ears.

"Yes?" he replied.

"Are we going to do it?" she asked.

Thranduil nodded vigorously, smiling broadly.

"Bregoliel, you go to the other side!"

She smiled and moved to the other side of the table's shadow. And then they waited, like cunning wolves patiently looking for a meal to come their way.

The naughty elflings had come to the conclusion that it was a brilliant idea to leap upon their fathers as soon as they entered the council chamber. What they failed to recognise, however, was that all the councillors would be present. Oropher and Revion did not tolerate their children behaving badly, but that clearly did not stop Thranduil and Bregoliel from devising some mischievous plan.

Ever since the prince struck Bregoliel with his toy sword by accident, the two had been inseparable friends, running around the palace, wreaking havoc upon their mothers' sanity. Many watched the elflings, saying that the two would no doubt be married someday. But for now, they were young and only friends. Queen Lithlaven and Lady Elwen found it difficult to manage their two energetic children, but both ellith would never exchange their elflings for peace.

Thranduil and Bregoliel were anything but peaceful, for they ran rampant in the gardens whenever possible, hiding themselves behind shrubbery, attempting to scale trees, and play sword fighting. The prince, being older, found it necessary to be in charge, which aggravated young Bregoliel, who was so accustomed to controlling her younger brother and sister. But in spite of those differences, they got along well, and unbeknownst to the prince, Bregoliel even had told her mother that she wished to marry someone exactly like the Crown Prince of Greenwood.

Silence was in the council chamber as Thranduil and Bregoliel grinned at each other under a table, shaking with anticipation. Then came footsteps, coming nearer and nearer to the room. A nervous glance was exchanged between the elflings, while Oropher spoke seriously with one of his most trusted councillors, who just happened to be Bregoliel's father.

"Soon, my lord," Lord Revion said, a grim and melancholy expression on his face.

"What shall I do in your absence? 'Tis a horrible thing to lose a friend from this council. So many of them are hankering for power, and I detest them with my soul!" the Elvenking replied, pushing open the doors of the council chamber.

"I would stay here, your majesty," Revion said, "but my brother has been killed by a group of pirating bandits. His children he leaves behind, and I have promised to take them. His wife is sailing."

This entire exchange was audible to both the elflings, who were able to determine that Bregoliel was leaving Greenwood. Her deep blue eyes met Thranduil's icy grey ones sadly, and they both looked at each other with fear in their hearts. She had been his first friend, and Thranduil did not ever want to lose a friend. The elflings were devastated, and forgetting their plan, crawled out from their places under the table, tears welling in their little eyes.