Gods and Monsters pt.9

"Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go but rather learning to start over." ― Nicole Sobon, Program 13

---

It's been eight months and every single day Sophie felt like a part of herself died every time she woke up in the morning and Kevin wasn't there. A frown was always present on her face in the early hours, but then a mask of friendliness would comfortably slip on her face that no one would have thought that she was really feeling lonely.

She was getting good at it- pretending that is. There were moments in her life wherein she would think that the lies she was telling everybody around her was the truth. It was tough at first, to rebuild her once glorious empire that she built with Kevin- but eventually she did recover. She didn't move to another town or change her name- her home was here and she just couldn't find it within herself to part with her mother.

But she eventually did and now she was living in an apartment, her family inheritance would have set the grey eyed girl up for a life where she wouldn't ever have to work but Sophie found life unimaginable if she just stared at four walls all her life, so she took up a job and surprisingly it was at the local library.

It had a decent pay and it was a work she preferred, since she didn't have to talk to a lot of people. It was a welcomed distraction that she needed. She continued with her sessions with Dr. Green because she would be forced to attend such things until the female doctor said that she was back to sanity but slowly Sophie was getting good at pretending. She would always have a friendly demeanor around herself and little by little people saw past her as the innocent victim- a few more months of acting she would be deemed normal enough to stop the weekly therapy. But now, Sophie was so good at acting that somehow she convinced herself that this was who she truly was.

A naive and innocent adolescent who only wanted a normal life. The old psychotic Sophie Iver was soon going to be dead, if this continued and the grey eyed girl didn't know wether it pleased or terrified her.

Aside from that she didn't have any communications with the Khatchadourian family. Sophie didn't even visit Kevin in prison, because it would look suspicious since she was supposed to loathe him and the last time she heard about Mr. and Mrs. K they didn't follow through with the divorce. Instead Mr. K was usually out of town for his photography work, Mrs. K now worked at a local travel agency she only knew this because people in the library liked to gossip, and Celia- the poor child- was having a hard time at school because not only did people tease her for her glass eye, but they also feared the young child because she might turn out to be like her brother.

While Sophie, well she was stuck arranging books by the Dewey Decimal system and checking in and out borrowed books. What has her life become after all these months?

---

Eight months. Eight fucking months of being stuck inside a prison cell with absolutely nothing to do but endure the rest of his life in four walls. The fact which was deeply troubling him was the fact that Sophie not once did visit him, no phone calls or letters and frankly it was driving Kevin mad- something was wrong horribly wrong.
He missed the outside and frankly there were things he took for granted, which he now saw because he was in prison. People in there like him, most of the time kept to themselves but fights were inevitable and Kevin most of the time avoided everyone around him and they did the same since they knew of what he did and was warned of his psychopathic tendencies.

Visiting hours was commencing during this moment and as always his mother sat in front of him, waiting for him to talk. At first Eva tried to start a conversation with him, but he didn't speak- for eight months he actually hasn't talked unless it was out of importance. Soon little by little his mother lost hope that he would ever talk, but she continued with his visits because she held on to the last glimmer she had.