Chapter VI: Trouble in Paradise

"Trouble in Paradise" by The Crests

xx

It was the first day of the intramurals.

All the students were preoccupied not just because of the sports they were a part, but mostly because this was one of the major school events everyone had to attend. Not that the students were complaining. A week of break from their lessons was enough to keep their spirits up and make the players extra competitive for their grades. Winning whether individually or as a team means additional grades for each student. Samantha is especially taking her job as Vice President more seriously since Xavier left her a major task. The boy won't be here for the first few days of the Intramurals.

"Sam, I need you to lead the fundraiser whilst I'm away."

"Why? Where are you going?" Sam didn't like the recent turn of events. She is strong enough to be second-in-command, but she wasn't truly as strong if she weren't following orders from someone with more capabilities than she does.

"I have to go to England. You know, for future studies," Xavier said sadly. "I'll be back right away, though. Perhaps on the third day of Intramurals."

"But what if I can't handle the job properly?"

"Shh. No buts. I trust you, and you should trust yourself,"  Xavier said. He had given Sam a friendly pat on the shoulder before he left; it's his silent 'good luck' wish for her.

That's how it happened. So far, a lot of students has gone to the food booth where she was in charge. Tessie was in charge of the jail booth; Janella in the marriage booth. The student assigned to play music at the dedication booth was Erik, Xavier's friend. Some lower years whose names Sam can't remember were put in-charge with the other booths. Antoinette and Hiyas volunteered to assist her out at the food booth. The booths were running efficiently. In the afternoon, Sam has planned to watch and cheer for Coltrane even though they weren't from the same team. I just hope Frieda won't win. It's okay if he's partnered with another, but Frieda? Ugh.

* * *

Sam got to the parade venue late. The call time was supposed to be 6 am, and she was late.

She had a bad dream seeing Frieda won alongside Coltrane as her escort. The ringing of her alarm clock saved Sam. She honestly thought that even the booths were already happening – it turns out they too, were just a part of her dream.

"SAMUEL!!! GET YOUR ASS UP! WE'RE GONNA BE LATE!!!"

Samantha shouted at the top of her lungs. She didn't care even if she wakes the whole neighborhood up. Samuel had got to move his lazy ass, otherwise, they'd be late for school. It wouldn't be a good first impression since this is one of her first major events as the student council's Vice President; now acting-President because Xavier is away.

She was already dressed and quickly finished her light breakfast of bagel & egg sandwich. Meanwhile, Samuel just groggily walked out of his bedroom.

"I woke you up earlier! Why aren't you ready yet?!"

"Okay, okay Samantha! Stop acting like my mother! Can't you wait?"Samuel quipped which infuriated Samantha.

If it were up to her, she would've left Samuel already, but she can't. They say it would be a waste of fuel. The commute is also not the way to go since she had to take ride twice. Not to mention it might take her longer to get to where she has to go. Perhaps even longer than having to wait for her fraternal twin.

They arrived fifteen minutes late at the venue. They immediately helped the other officers to arrange the students and make them fall in line.

"What's with you, Samantha? We arrived first! You are so tardy! Fix the students and give out the team items!" An early lecture from Shelby, one of the officers. She is the treasurer of the student government.