Chapter XII: Dangerous Woman

"Dangerous Woman" by Ariana Grande

xx

Everyone woke up peacefully in the Lindgren household. The birds were chirping outside, the sea breeze is softly blowing the wind chimes, even the weather was calm. The eldest Imperyal child, Knox, woke up first. He found a letter in his dresser, and only half-awake, he picked it up and began to read it.

Dear Knox,

Sorry, I had to leave. Please tell Mom, Samuel, and Tobey that I love them very much. But I can't just stay here waiting for dad when I know he won't come back - WAIT, DON'T FREAKING SCREAM. YOU MIGHT WAKE EVERYONE UP!

I heard that La Femme took him. I'll try to cooperate with the police when I'm in Manila. Don't worry, I'm wearing a clever disguise. Neither Tessie nor Coltrane knows where I am. Just let me; I have a plan. I will call all of you when there's progress.

My guess is that La Femme will come for us. She'll bargain for dad. We can all lose our material possessions but we can't lose one of us.

We can't hide in fear forever.

Pray for me, and know that I am safe. By the time you finish reading my letter, I'm probably already well on my way to Manila.

Love always,

Samster

Knox's eyes went as wide as saucers. He rushed to his mother's room to wake her up and give her the note he found.

"She must have heard me when I said your father's been taken." Vivienne broke down in tears again.

"Should we come for her?" Knox asked worriedly. He's been pacing back and forth, thinking.

"Stop pacing, Knox. I can't think." Vivienne is trying to dry her tears.

"Alright, sorry mom."

Another person entered the room. It was Sonja.

"Valter and Samantha left last night." Sonja set beside Vivienne on the bed.

"How do you know? W-wait a minute!" Vivienne's eyes widened as she realized something. "You knew, and you didn't tell me?!"

"I didn't know. But apparently, Stellan did. Don't worry Viv, Jon will come to protect us."

"Who is Jon?" Knox asked.

"My son. He's a pilot. I asked him to come quickly. My other children live in Sweden now."

Vivienne and Knox just managed a nod. They won't follow Valter and Samantha back to the city; it would be too risky for all of them. Valter is more than capable of protecting the two of them.

* * *

They're near Manila already. Sam is sad to leave the safe house in Subic, but she can't stay in one place waiting for a result when she knows she isn't even doing anything.

I can't live my life in fear and waiting. La Femme won't stop me. I'd die trying.

Her reverie was broken by the guy behind the wheel.

"And where do you suppose we stay in Manila? We can't stay with your friends, and most especially not at your house. Think of someone."

"Ugh, Valter. Can't we go to a hotel?"

"They ask for IDs! And if La Femme gets a whiff of us, we're dead meat, man."

"Wait. It's traffic. I will make a call."