-6-

"I don't get it. You ran into him three times?"

"Yeah and then he called the police."

"So now you live with him."

"I guess. I don't know how long for."

"Maybe forever." He says. I laugh. "You never know."

"I kinda do." No one would keep me that long. People bother me less when Noah is around. He's like a safe base in a way. So are teachers because the kids don't want to be caught. The day is almost over and I only have art. I rush there to stay away from people and I'm the first one there as always.

"Good afternoon, Liv."

"Good afternoon, Ms.J." She picks my project out if the stack and gives it to me. "We are learning shading today and I know you can do that so you don't have to. You can just work on this If you would like."

"Okay." Other students enter the room and I go to the back with the minimum amount of supplies I can use for this. By the end of class, I have completed it. I clean up my materials and pit it in the pile.

"Wait, Olivia."

"Yeah?"

"Are you entering the art show?"

"The concert is the same day." I'm singing the national anthem which terrifies me because it will be alone. Mr.Larson told me that if it goes well, I can sing at the thanksgiving game. That is for the town, not just my schools parents and teachers.

"That's in the morning. The art show is in the afternoon."

"Um, okay then. Thank you. Bye." I walk to the library to do homework for a while. I tuck myself away in the corner but well within sight of the librarian so that I can be left alone. My head starts to hurt so I put it away and stare out the window.

"Sorry about that. I had to make up a test."

"That's fine." We head to his house where we just watch a movie and do some homework. I hate having to check my phone. Lin picks me up between shows and brings me to the theater where I draw more. I'm starting to hate pencils. Throughout the rest of the week, I barely get to know people around here. Or I suppose I get to know them but they don't get to know me. On Friday, I'm sitting with Pippa between shows watching the tiny TV when she mentions this.

"I know practically nothing about you."

"What do you want to know?"

"Your favorite things. Why you're so quiet. Where you're from."

"I like drawing, singing, the show 'Friends, the color purple."

"Musical or color?"

"Never seen the musical so color."

"Continue."

"I'm quiet because most of the things I say are stupid or sarcastic."

"I doubt that. Where are you from?"

"Boston."

"How'd you get here?"

"I ran away from a home."

"How come?" I shrug.

"What about you?"

"Musical theater. Illinois. And I'm not quiet. Why did you run away from home?"

"I was in fifth grade. I was dumb."

"Liv, why?"

"Worst family I had ever had."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. My luck in Boston was never good."

"Do you miss that city?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sure you'll see it again when you're older."

"Some things are similar to here. These are both city's. Just people rushing around to work themselves to death." I look at the screen again. "The subway system sucked, though."

"What about in New York?"

"Well, It's a lot bigger. If you stick to Manhattan it makes sense because it's more focused in. Just expensive."

"I know."

"What are we watching?"

"I really don't know." She says with a laugh. She leaves to get ready a half hour later. I finish my homework and fall asleep. I wake to Lin sitting next to me, lightly shaking me.

"Great, now you won't sleep tonight."

"It was only like two hours." I collect my things and check my phone, slipping it in my pocket before Lin see's anything on it. He notices the action though and stands for a second, deciding what to do but then leading me out of the room. My phone vibrates with a message from my friend Aleigha. She's sort of friends with Noah but we're good friends. She sent me a message saying someone made an Instagram account under my name. Noah's dad taught us how to hack an Instagram account after the first time. My foster parents made fun of me when he told them but the skill is a good one to have. I go straight to Sebastian's room when we get inside and open up Instagram.
@oliviaparkwhale
Description: my name is Olivia Park and I'm a whale. I try to make people think that I'm anorexic by not eating lunch but i'm actually obsessed with food.

All of the pictures are of wales and say things like: me at the beach

I'm underweight! It's not like I'm obese. So why me?

I wipe my tears with the back of my hand and then get to work at taking it down. It doesn't take long but my stomach acts as if I'm sobbing even though I won't let myself. I shut the computer so the room is now dark and go into the bathroom.

Lin's POV
The light in the living room was off when I went to check on Liv. I found the light from the computer on her tear stained face. She wiped her eyes and bit her lip, then shut the computer. I stepped away when she got up and now I'm standing in the room, listening but I don't hear her cry. When Vanessa comes in, she turns on a light but I put my finger up to my lips.

"Can you hear if she is crying?" I whisper. She furrows her eyebrows and walks to the door, knocking.

"Liv, hun, are you alright?" There is noting for a moment.

"Yeah."

"Are you almost done?"

"One second." Vanessa steps away from the door. I hear the sink run or any sort of sound of her even moving. Se did not go in there to go to the bathroom. I shrug. I don't know if she is alright. She opens the door and then steps back to shut off the bathroom light. She keeps her eyes on the floor. "Something wrong?" She asks.

"Um, no, I'd just like the passcode to your phone since you're under our roof." I pass her a pen and paper. She scribbles four numbers down and says goodnight.