Chapter 7

Rory was awakened far too early morning when he cell phone seemed to take on a life of its own.  Finally resigning herself to the fact that the caller wasn't going to let up until she answered, she picked up the phone.

"What?"

"Good morning to you too, Mare.  Rough night with your new boyfriend?  Because I have to say, you two look quite cozy in the pictures."

Rory could hear the sarcasm and hurt evident in Tristan's voice.

"I'm so sorry, Tris.  I should have called you."

"Yeah, you should have.  What happened anyway?  Last we talked I thought you had said you were going to say no and stay away from Huntzberger."

"It's complicated, honestly.  I'm so sick of my grandmother constantly trying to set me up with society boys that she deems appropriate and pulling me away from my life to deal with business that someone else could easily take care and demanding my presence at events, so I turned the tables.  I signed the contract after they signed a second contract that I had drawn up that gives me some freedom and gets me peace."

"Please tell me that you're not actually into this guy, Mary."

"No.  Well, ugh!  That's complicated, too."

"Mare, he's a player.  It's as simple as that."

"Are you sure about that Tris?"

"Completely sure.  Please tell me you're not falling for his charm."

"No.  It's just...well, we went out last night, and I had a great time.  What you saw in the pictures - that was all for the camera, to keep up our end of the contract.  But in private, he's...different.  I really enjoy talking with him.  And then there was the dancing, and that kiss."

"You need to get a hold of yourself, Mare.  Remember everything you said about me when we met at Chilton?  It's all true of him plus some.  He's an arrogant playboy.  Trust me.  I know his type."

"He asked me to give him two weeks, Tris."

"Two weeks for what?  To get you into his bed?"

"No, two weeks to get to know him.  There was something there, Tristan.  I don't know what it was, but I want to find out."

"You can't be serious, Rory.  He'll have you in his bed within two weeks.  That's what you'll find out."

"No, he won't have me in his bed within two weeks.  I'm not that kind of girl, Tristan, and you know that."

"I thought I knew that, but you have me questioning what I know about you right now.  You may not be that kind of girl, but he's that kind of guy."

"Tris, can't you just listen to me?  I've been there for you through every relationship you've had.  Don't I get that from you as well?"

"Fine.  How about I drive up and we have dinner tonight?"

"You would do that?  That would be perfect!"

"You know I'd do anything for you, Mare.  I'll pick you up at 6:00.  Sound good?"

"Thank you, Tris.  You're the best!  Umm...Logan wants to meet my friends.  Could we meet up with him for drinks after dinner?"

"Sure.  Just don't expect me to welcome the guy into the family, alright?"

____________________________________________________________________________

Rory was tired from staying up late and being woke up far too early for her taste when she walked into her dorm at 10:00 to settle in and get ready for lunch with Logan.  No sooner had she opened the door, she heard Paris's angry voice.