Chapter 12: Scheming

A/N: I have gotten a couple of questions about the end of chapter 10.  It appears that in my attempt not to be graphic I was a little too vague.  Go figure!  So, yes, Logan and Rory did the deed in chapter 10 (and 11).  The conversation they had at the basketball court was them agreeing that they didn't need the full two week trial period because they both knew that they definitely wanted to be together for real, so they also decided that since that decision was made they could go for it in the bedroom as well.  They're definitely an unconventional couple.  Remember, this whole thing is AU.  I suspect Rory would have been a very different person had she been raised in Hartford with both parents.  Now, onto the story!

Rory and Logan walked into the Gilmore mansion, her arm tucked into his, and almost immediately every eye in the room was on them.  They may have just begun their relationship, but word had obviously gotten around quickly.  There were hushed whispers around the room as the couple proceed further into the sprawling estate.

"They're all looking at us, Logan," Rory lamented quietly, society smile still plastered on her face.

"Just keep smiling, Ace.  Unfortunately, we represent three of the most powerful families in Hartford; that's why our families wanted this.  Just remember, we play by our own rules, right?  This is about us now, not about our families," he reassured her quietly.  "Speaking of which, your grandparents and my parents just spotted us.  Are you ready to deal with them yet?"

"God, no!" Rory exclaimed quietly.

"Well then, may I have this dance?" he asked as he turned toward her.

"You are brilliant!  They'll never bother us if they think we're out there selling this relationship to the press," Rory replied as she took his hand and allowed him to lead her onto the dance floor.  He took her in his arms and the couple fell easily into a graceful waltz.

"You know that they're all smug as hell over there right now," Rory grumbled as she jerked her head toward their families.  The Huntzbergers, the elder Gilmores and Francine Hayden were all standing together watching the young couple with glee evident on their faces.

"They're probably choosing our china pattern and flowers for the wedding as we speak," he shot back quickly.

"I'm certain that the wedding invitations will be printed by the end of next week."

"I guess I should start on planning our honeymoon, right?  That seems like a good job for the groom," he continued their banter.

"I'm sorry, did Logan Huntzberger just refer to himself as a groom?  Someone call a doctor, quickly!" she teased.

"I must say, I myself am surprised that I didn't pass out when I said it."

"All of those blonde bimbos will be so disappointed," she tutted.

"I'm giving up all of the blondes and the bimbos, because you are neither, Ace," he whispered seriously suddenly.

"I must say, I'm glad," she teased lightly, but he could tell that she really was happy that he was.  "After hearing the rumors I never thought I would see the day, but I'm glad."

"Well, perhaps I'd just never met someone worth giving up the playboy ways for.  It's only been a week, Ror, but I can certainly see that you're one hell of a woman, and if I want to be with a woman like you, I need to make some changes."

"Just...always be honest with me, Logan?" she asked quietly.

"I promise, Ace.  We both need to always be honest with each other.  And Ace?"

"Hmm?"

"There won't be any need to be discrete about any indiscretions, because there won't be any," he told her as he looked her in the eyes.  Rather than answer, she moved in closer to him, taking comfort in having his body close to hers.  They danced in silence for a few more minutes before finally deciding that it was time to face the families.  Mitchum was the first to speak as they walked up to the group.  Logan had his arm tightly around Rory's waist.