Chapter 26

Rory looked around their apartment nervously as she absentmindedly straightened and rearranged things.  They'd invited their families to come over for dinner and had barely managed to dodge questions about the strange address or what was going on.  Colin, Finn, and Steph had stepped up to the plate and helped them get their apartment unpacked and decorated in record time, much to Rory and Logan's surprise.  Logan had never seen Finn and Colin so focused and on-task.  Rory was pulled out of her thoughts when she felt Logan's arms wrapping around her.

"Everything looks great, Ace.  Take a deep breath and relax," he said soothingly as he pulled her toward him. 

"I'm just nervous about what they'll all say," Rory whispered.

"I know you are, and honestly, we both know that they're not going to be thrilled about us living together, but we'll get through it together  Regardless of their feelings on us shacking up, they'll be thrilled that our relationship is serious.  And no amount of fluffing pillows is going to make this go any better," he teased.

"And here I thought you were being sweet," she replied with an eye roll.

"You know me - a little sweet and a little bit of a rebel.  That's why you love me."

"Hmm...you may be right there."  She stood up on her tiptoes and kissed him tenderly, but it quickly turned passionate.  They broke apart a minute later when they heard a knock on the front door.

"We'll finish that after everyone leaves," Logan said huskily.  He took Rory's hand and walked toward the door.  "Remember, no matter what they say, we're happy and we're going to wake up next to each other every morning."

"You're right - they can't change that," she agreed.  "And we are deliriously happy.  Let's do this."

Logan smiled over at Rory and kissed her quickly and then reached out and opened the door.  It appeared that everyone had arrived at the same time, because the Huntzbergers, Haydens and Gilmores were all standing out in the hall trying to figure out what was going on.

"We're glad you all could make it.  Please, come in," Logan said with a smile, trying to look more confident about this evening than he felt, if for no other reason than to help reassure Rory.  He was accustomed to being at odds with his family, but he didn't want this to cause problems for her.  He desperately wanted to shelter her from all of the possible negative effects of their decision.

"Logan, Rory.  Very nice of you to invite us to this strange building that you seem to be hosting dinner at," Mitchum boomed critically.

"Everyone come in and have a seat.  We'll get your drinks and then we can discuss this strange building," Logan encouraged them all. 

They all made themselves comfortable on the large, comfortable sectionals Rory and Logan had chosen to furnish the room.  Rory and Logan brought them all drinks and then moved over to the large, oversized chair Rory had chosen.  She slipped her shoes off and curled up next to Logan and tucked her feet under her.  He slipped his arm around her shoulder and smiled down at her.

Mitchum cleared his throat.  "We're all seated with our drinks."

"Right.  Rory and I invited you all here tonight because we have some news to share," Logan began.

"Logan and I have grown to love spending time together - or more accurately, you could say that we've grown to love each other - over the last couple of months, and we decided that we want to live together.  This is our new apartment," Rory rushed out.

Logan saw the emotions playing out on their faces and quickly jumped in.  "Rory and I know that none of you will be thrilled about us living together outside of marriage, but we are very happy with our decision.  Ultimately, this change also serves your purposes well; Rory and I living together will certainly send the message that our families are united."