Chapter 22

"You...you love me? And you want to live together? Logan, that's serious. Are you sure?" Rory asked.

"You know, I had kind of hoped that the first time I told a girl that I loved her, it would have gone a little better. You almost sound spooked," Logan said, obviously concerned about the turn the conversation had taken. It was quiet for a minute, and he took a deep breath. "Come on, Ace. Talk to me - what's going through your head?"

"I'm just a little surprised. I didn't expect to hear those words from you, especially after only a few months. It's a bit surreal - one of the biggest playboys of Yale is sitting here taking care of me while I'm sick, he tells me he loves me, and he wants to live with me. I'm...are you sure I'm not delusional from running a fever?" she teased, finally smiling.

"Nope, you're fever-free," Logan replied with a chuckle. "I can always repeat it, if that would help you believe it. Or we can forget I said anything and have this conversation again sometime down the road when you're ready for it."

"No! No, that's not...that's not what I want at all. You know, it's funny, I've never been able to tell a guy that I loved him right away. My first boyfriend told me that he loved me and when I couldn't say it back he broke up with me. Then I never could tell Jess that I loved him until after we'd broken up - or actually, he left without a word, and I told him that I had loved him. It's just...I don't do well under pressure, and I always second guess myself," Rory rambled.

Logan leaned over and kissed her, and he smiled as he felt her relax.

"Sorry about that. I'm a bit of a mess. It doesn't help that I don't feel like myself from being sick. But Logan...I...I love you, too. I - "

Suddenly, she was cut off by Logan's lips on hers once again. The kiss was full of passion and tenderness and need, and it took her breath away.

"You love me," he whispered, nuzzling into her neck and kissing it softly.

"Yeah, I really do. You know, your parents and my grandparents aren't going to be happy about us living together. We're going to get lectures about how it just isn't proper and they're going to go on and on about what people will say."

"Yeah, I know, but we'll - wait! Does that mean you're saying yes?" he asked with a smile.

"That means I'm saying yes. We spend every night together already, so it makes sense, and it would be so nice to have our own place. Maybe we can start looking for a place this week? I'm feeling better, and we need to be settled before the new semester starts in January. With our trip coming up, that doesn't leave much time," Rory said, already making lists in her head.

"This is going to be amazing, Ace! You're not going to regret it, I promise," Logan told her. "Let's get the laptop and we can start looking at places online now, maybe try to narrow it down to a few to see in person?"

"That sounds perfect," she agreed.

Logan walked into the kitchen and got them each a cup of coffee and then brought the laptop into the living room and joined Rory on the couch. She snuggled into his side and covered up with a blanket as he opened his browser and began pulling up apartment listings near Yale.

"So, Ace, what's important to us in our apartment?" he asked.

"Hmm...you and me both living there," Rory joked.

"I think that's a given, crazy woman. What else?"

"Maybe two bedrooms, so we can use one as a study and also put a bed in there in case we need a guest room? And I'd like a large master bedroom with a walk-in closet and bathroom with two sinks," Rory mused aloud.

"I'd like a large chef's kitchen and an open floor plan for the main living area," Logan added. "It would also be nice to have a gym."

"A gym? What would we need that for?" Rory teased.

"Hey, some of us work hard to look good. We don't all have the incredible genes that you have," Logan said with a laugh.

"Fine, but don't expect me to go to the gym with you," Rory conceded.

"I wouldn't dare, Ace," Logan chuckled. "Hey, look at this loft. It's perfect - a nice, big bedroom, spacious, open floor plan, fireplace in the living room, huge walk-in closet. What do you think?" he asked as he clicked through the pictures.

"It's gorgeous. I can actually see us living there," Rory agreed. "Can we make an appointment to look at it?"

"Of course, babe. I'll call the realtor and set up an appointment as soon as possible. Are you sure you feel up to getting out to look at it?"

"Yeah, I really am feeling much better. I'm a bit tired, but that won't be a problem," replied Rory.

Logan pulled out his cell phone and made a quick call to the realtor, setting an appointment to view the apartment later that day. After he hung up his phone, he turned back to Rory and immediately noticed the serious look on her face.

"What's going on in that pretty head of yours, Ace?" he asked.

"I'm just...how are we going to get our families on board enough with us living together that they don't fight us or make it impossible? I mean, they control our trust funds."

"I think winning your parents over will be the hardest thing we have to do. My parents and your grandparents won't be thrilled that we're living together, but they're all hoping to see an eventual union of our families through us getting married, so I don't think they'll put up too much of a fuss. Us moving in together is just one step closer to their dynastic plan coming together," replied Logan.

"And you're okay with that? With going along with their plan?" she asked.

"I wouldn't be if it was with anyone else, but with the woman I love, absolutely."