Chapter 8

A/N: You guys completely blow me away with your reviews and comments.  Thank you SO much for taking the time to let me know that you're enjoying the story!  It totally makes my day.  I'm so sorry that this update took so long; I had some major writer's block going on.

Logan found himself anxious and restless as he sat at his apartment after dropping Rory off from their lunch date.  They had managed to stretch lunch into a long stroll and spent time browsing downtown shops and talking on benches over coffee, and he had gotten her home just in time to change for her dinner with Tristan.  Just the thought of her sitting at dinner with another man made Logan tense, even if it was her best friend.  As he thought about her, he couldn't understand how any man could be around her and not want more.  She was gorgeous, intelligent, witty.  He was normally the type to stick around just long enough to get what he wanted from a woman, but he found himself wanting to spend as little time away from Rory as possible.  He had never been in that situation before.

Pulled out of his thoughts by his buzzing phone, he saw that he had incoming texts from both Ace and Colin.  It appeared both groups were headed to Rich Man's Shoe.  Quickly texting them both back, he grabbed his jacket and keys and headed out.

He arrived at the pub to find his friends in a booth in the back, enjoying drinks and laughing, and was surprised to see that Rory and a tall blond-haired man were there with him.  Quickly crossing the room, he stopped next to her.

"Hey, Ace.  It looks like everyone thought this was the place to be tonight, no?" he said as he slid his arm around her waist.

"Mac!  I was just introducing everyone.  Mac, this is my best friend, Tristan.  Tristan, this is Logan Huntzberger," Rory replied with a leery eye on the two boys.  Tristan held Logan's glance for several awkward seconds before he finally offered his hand and pleasantries.  Oh no, not awkward at all.  After a full minute of silence, Ace's voice broke in.

"So, I'll just go grab some drinks for everyone, then?  Paris should be here any minute," Rory said.

I quickly regained my senses and stopped her. 

"I'll go with you, Ace.  It's my treat.  Do you know what everyone wants?"

The two walked off hand-in-hand with Tristan shooting a glare his way the entire time.  He ordered their drinks from the bartender and pulled Rory close to him, wrapping his arms around her and kissing her forehead.

"So, one friend already seems to have a death wish for me.  I can't wait to see what friend number two thinks," Logan said sarcastically.

"Hey, it's not that bad, okay?  They're both kind of intense and protective, but they'll be fine once they get to know you."

"I hope you're right, Ace," Logan said as he grabbed their drinks and walked back to the table with Rory by his side.

Frankly, he had never been the type to need to be liked by friends or family.  Actually, he never kept one girl around for long enough for that to even enter his thoughts.  Regardless of how these two weeks went, he needed Rory's friends to like him.  They were going to be together for a year and a half, no matter what.

Logan was snapped back to reality by an approaching blonde who was railing loudly about everything from how crowded the pub was to the music to the color of the walls.

"Paris!" Rory said as she greeted the blonde with a hug. 

God, this seriously couldn't be happening.  Between Paris with the obvious chip on her shoulder and Tristan with his death glare, this night was going to be an uphill battle.

"Paris, I'd like to introduce you to Logan.  Logan, this is Paris," Rory said by way of introduction.

"Paris, it's so nice to meet you," said Logan as he extended his hand in greeting.