Chapter 21

Logan woke with a start when he felt Rory stirring in bed next to him two days later.  She'd spent most of the last couple of days asleep, between the effects of having the flu and taking the cough medicine that the doctor had prescribed. 

"Hey, how are you feeling there, Ace?" he asked groggily.  He hadn't left her side since she'd gotten sick, checking in often with Chris to let him know how Rory was feeling.  Lorelai had teased them both about rushing her to the doctor for something as minor as the flu, but they'd done what they thought was necessary in the moment.

"A little more human.  I think I might actually get out of bed today," Rory answered.

"Don't go getting all crazy there.  I think we can spend some time on the couch, but you still need to take it easy if you're going to be feeling better for finals next week," Logan reminded her. 

"I know - it's not like I'm going to start tap dancing or anything.  I just want to get out of bed.  Maybe watch some television or movies on the couch or something - just a little change of scenery."

"We can definitely do that.  Are you hungry?" Logan asked.

"Yeah, I actually am.  Maybe some toast, or a muffin?" asked Rory.  "Ooh, and some coffee!"

"Orange juice first, Ace - you need the vitamin C.  Then I'll get you some coffee," Logan said as he got up out of bed and slid on some pajama pants and a t-shirt.  He was standing in the middle of the kitchen, getting breakfast ready, when Rory walked in and joined him.

"Thank you for taking such great care of me, Logan.  This is really - well, you didn't have to drop everything, but I really appreciate that you did," Rory whispered when he'd turned around to look at her.

"There's nowhere else I'd rather be, Rory.  You've become really important to me over the last two months.  When you got so sick so quickly, it scared me.  I just knew that I had to help you and take care of you even though I had no idea how to do either of those."

"I'd say you absolutely know how to take care of me.  You've been nothing short of amazing," she said, cuddling into his arms and laying her head on his chest.  He bent down and kissed the top of her head and closed his eyes, enjoying the moment.

"What can I say, you bring out the best of me," he said with a laugh.

"You don't give yourself enough credit, Logan," she objected.

"And I say you don't give yourself enough credit.  I wasn't this man before you were in my life, Rory."

"Yes, you were.  You just needed someone to help you see it," she whispered, leaning up to kiss him on the cheek.

"And you are the amazing woman just did just that."

"I'm going to have to take your word for it," she said, grabbing her glass of juice and muffin and moving to the couch.  Logan followed her and picked up the remote, turning on the news.  They sat there on the couch, her feet in his lap, as they watched the news and shared the newspaper.  He took the business and sports sections while she read the front page and arts and entertainment. 

They both looked up in surprise as the door opened and Colin and Finn walked in.

"What are you guys doing here?" Logan asked.

"Well, mate, you seem to have gone off the grid the last couple of days, so we wanted to check on you, but judging from this picture of domesticity I'd say you're doing just fine," Finn smirked, eyeing Logan.

"What's that supposed to mean, Finn?" Logan asked exasperatedly.

"Just that I now see where you've been - playing house with Reporter Girl here," Finn continued to tease, seeing just how far he could push his friend.

"We're not playing house.  She's sick, and I've been taking care of her," Logan explained.

"And that's different from playing house how, exactly?  Because from here, it looks quite cozy," Colin chimed in.

"This from the two eternal bachelors?  That's rich," Logan scoffed, still wondering exactly what point his friends were trying to make.

"Is that supposed to be an insult?  Because I have to tell you, I have absolutely no complaints.  Plenty of lovely ladies whenever I'd like - I'd say that's pretty damn ideal," retorted Finn.

"You keep thinking that.  All I know is that I'm an extremely happy man.  This finding one woman who makes you happy and committing to her thing?  Well, I'd say I don't know why I resisted so long, but I do know.  I just hadn't found the right woman until a couple of months ago.  I'm telling you guys - having someone like Rory in your life is amazing," he said passionately, reaching over and entwining their fingers.

"The next thing you know, you'll be telling us you're in love and moving in with her," Colin said with a laugh, but he didn't miss the serious look when Logan's eyes shot up.  Logan's eyes shifted between Colin and Rory as he blushed furiously.  "Wait, you love her?!" Colin exclaimed loudly as he watched on in interest.

"I...this really isn't a conversation for right now," Logan said evasively, desperately wishing his two best friends weren't there at the moment.  "Rory has been sick, so she really needs to rest," he finished, hoping to hurry Colin and Finn back out the door. 

"I think we both know that we're not wanted here right now, Mate," Finn said to Colin.  "Let's leave our boy here alone with his girl - I think they have some talking to do."

Finn ushered Colin to the door, and after a quick goodbye Rory and Logan were once again alone.

"I'm so sorry about them," Logan said, trying desperately to ease the tension that had mounted in the room.

"No, it's okay.  You don't have anything to explain," Rory tried to reassure him.

"That's the thing, though - I really do.  They weren't wrong, Rory.  I...I do love you," Logan whispered.  "I've never said that to anyone before, except for my sister, but I'm sure of it.  And I had actually already decided to talk to you about moving in together before next semester."

Rory stared at him, mouth agape, at a complete loss for words.

"Come on, Ace - don't leave me hanging," he said with a small smile, hoping he hadn't just made a huge mistake.