Chapter 18

Realizing that the status of their relationship would be known to their families before the day was over, Logan and Rory saw no point in trying to maintain the appearance of not actually dating.  They showered and dressed and arrived at the Hayden mansion together precisely on time, hoping to avoid interrogation.  Unfortunately, Mitchum met them as soon as they walked into the house and pulled them into the study.

"I will give you two until the last course of dinner to announce the status of your relationship, otherwise I'll let the cat out of the bag myself," Mitchum said smugly.  "I'd suggest you do it yourselves - I'm certain they would all want to know how I knew if I were the one to tell them."

With those words, Mitchum turned and walked out of the study, leaving them alone.  Rory turned to Logan with a worried look on her face.  He pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly.

"Everything's going to be okay, Ace.  I'm sure we'll have to deal with a little extra pressure from our families, but the terms of the contract are clear.  They can't force us into anything - we'll still play by our own rules," he reassured her quietly.

Rory finally exhaled and gave him a small smile.

"You're right.  How do you want to play this?  Get it over with or wait as long as possible?" she asked.

"Well, given the smug look on my father's face and the fact that I'm certain that he thinks he's got us sweating bullets, I say we walk in there with our heads held high and steal his thunder.  We can't let him know that he has us rattled, Rory," Logan said seriously.

"Alright, let's go make them all happier than a kid in a candy store," Rory agreed.

Logan kissed her quickly and they walked out of the study and through the house to the sitting room.  Everyone looked up at them when they entered the room, eyeing their intertwined hands expectantly.  Logan led Rory over to a chair and pulled her down into his lap, knowing full well that it would simultaneously rile up the older generation due to the lack of proper decorum and excite them because Rory and Logan were looking quite cozy.  He chuckled to himself as he saw the shocked looks on Shira, Emily and Francine's faces.

"Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.  Rory and I very much appreciate you making arrangements for us all to celebrate the holiday together," Logan said smoothly as Rory snuggled further into his side.

The elders all continued staring at them for a moment before Emily finally answered.

"Of course, Logan.  We're just delighted that you two wanted to spend the holiday together," Emily replied demurely.

Logan leaned over and whispered something in Rory's ear and she smiled and nodded to him.  They both stood up and he wrapped his arm around her waist.  He cleared his throat to get everyone's attention, but truthfully it wasn't necessary - they were all still staring at the young couple eagerly.  He tightened his grip on Rory a bit more and began speaking to their families.

"Rory and I have a bit of an announcement to make.  As we've gotten to know each other over the last several weeks, we've discovered how much we have in common and have grown quite fond of spending time together.  We wanted to keep things quiet for a bit as we define our relationship, but I'm overjoyed to announce that this beautiful woman is officially my girlfriend - by choice, not just by contract," Logan beamed.

They were instantly embraced by Shira, Francine and Emily, who were all beside themselves at the news.  They were lost in a sea of hugs, pats on the back, and excited exclamations over what a handsome couple they made and how beautiful their children would look.  Rory held up her hand and silenced the group.

"Everyone stop right there," she said firmly.  "Logan and I have been dating since shortly after you introduced us, but we didn't say anything because we didn't want this pressure.  There will be no veiled references to our future children or attempts to plan our wedding.  Just let us enjoy getting to know each other and spending time together without any additional pressure from all of you."

The three ladies suddenly looked around sheepishly and backed away from the young couple.

"Of course, dear.  We wouldn't want to potentially cause problems in your relationship, would we, ladies?" Emily asked Shira and Francine.

"No, of course not," Shira agreed.

Rory and Logan breathed a sigh of relief as the maid came in to tell them all that dinner was ready.  They'd done the hard part and let their families in on their little secret; hopefully it would all be downhill from there. 

Everyone seemed to be on their best behavior during dinner.  There was no further mention of Rory and Logan's relationship, and they were both incredibly grateful for that.  Any one of their parents or grandparents could be overbearing and difficult at times, but when you put them all together there was potential for all kinds of problems. 

After dinner, the men retired to the study while the ladies gathered in the sitting room.  Logan hated to leave Rory to fend for herself with the elder ladies, but he knew that she could handle anything they threw her way.  He needed only to look at Rory's handling of Mitchum to know that she would be fine.  He reluctantly followed the other men to the study for cigars and scotch.  They were all sitting around enjoying their indulgences when Chris suddenly shifted and gave Logan a stern look.

"I'm certain that I don't have to tell you how much my daughter means to me, Logan, but I will anyway.  That little girl is my world, and I would do anything to protect her from harm, including heartbreak because of a certain playboy," Chris said sternly.

Logan gulped and swallowed hard.

"I wouldn't dream of hurting Rory, sir.  She's very important to me as well," Logan attempted to assure him.

Chris considered his words for a minute before speaking.

"I'm sure that you're aware of your reputation with women..." Chris began.

For the first time in his life, Logan found himself embarrassed over his status as a playboy.

"I am, sir," Logan replied quietly.

"Then let me make myself perfectly clear.  I didn't support this relationship when it was a sham, and I'm still not a fan.  If you can't commit to my daughter and resist the urge to stray, you need to walk away now.  I won't take kindly to you breaking her heart," Chris warned.

Logan relaxed a bit.  He hadn't even thought of another woman since he'd met Rory, and he didn't see that changing.  With other women, he'd bailed out of bed in the middle of the night and retreated back to his dorm before the awkward morning-after conversation could even begin, but with Rory it was different.  From the moment he'd begun getting to know her, he wanted more.  He looked forward to their quiet nights together and relished their intimate mornings when they woke up in a tangle of limbs.  Logan made eye contact with Chris and spoke surely.

"I'm completely committed to your daughter, sir.  There hasn't been anyone else since the night I met her, and there won't be anyone else as long as she'll have me.  I've never been more serious about anything in my life," Logan insisted.

Chris studied Logan for a moment and then the look on his face softened.

"You really care about her, don't you?" Chris asked quietly.  Logan was aware that every eye in the room was on him, but he still spoke with absolute certainty.

"I'm absolutely crazy about her."