Chapter 14

After another week of blissfully hiding their real relationship from their families, Rory and Logan found themselves at the Gilmore estate for brunch on Saturday morning.  Emily had insisted on hosting the Huntzbergers, the younger Gilmores, and Francine Hayden for the morning in order to "strengthen the union of the families".  Rory rolled her eyes as her grandmother told her about the brunch, giving specific instructions about how to dress and behave.

Rory and Logan knew that their days of hiding their relationship from their families were numbered; the question remained as to exactly what that number was.  It was inevitable that someone who saw them at school would talk to someone who knew their families and the jig would be up.  They'd both decided to hold out as long as possible though in order to maintain some sense of sanity, knowing that the revelation of the true nature of their relationship would bring a whole new level of hysteria from Emily, Francine and Shira.

They arrived separately at the Gilmore estate, having decided that it was better to keep up the appearance of only dating for show, and Rory found herself arriving after Logan and the elders had gotten there.  She braced herself for whatever the terrible threesome of elder ladies had to throw at her and rang the bell.  She was greeted promptly by the maid.

"Theresa, thank you so much.  How are the kids?" Rory asked the maid as she took her purse.

"I'm well, thank you, Miss Rory.  You look beautiful as always," Theresa responded.  "They're all in the sitting room, including that gorgeous boyfriend of yours," she continued with a wink.

"Thank you, Theresa," Rory replied with a blush.  She proceeded to the sitting room where the men stood as she entered the room.

"Rory, you're here," Emily greeted her happily.  "You look lovely, dear.  Doesn't she look lovely, Logan?"

"Indeed she does, Emily," Logan replied, schooling his features in order to appear aloof when in truth he thought his girlfriend looked ravishing.

Rory kissed the ladies on the cheek and went to her grandpa.

"Grandpa, it's so wonderful to see you," Rory told her grandpa as she hugged him warmly.  She had always been closer to Richard that she was to Emily.  She felt as though he understood her better.

"And Mitchum, it's lovely to see you again," Rory demurred.

"It's lovely to see you as well, Rory," he returned.

"What can I get you to drink, Rory?" Richard asked as he walked to the drink cart.

"Just a club soda for me, Grandpa.  Thank you."

She accepted her drink from her grandpa and settled onto the couch next to Logan, resisting the urge to sit too close to him or initiate any physical contact that would give them away.  Just a minute later, she heard the doorbell ring once more and her parents entered.  They took their seats after greeting everyone and getting their drinks.  Conversation was going smoothly until Mitchum dropped the bomb.

"So, Logan, Rory, have you two decided where you'd like to go for November break?"

"I think we'd like to stay at the villa in Turks and Caicos, actually," Logan told his dad.

"What, you're going away for November break?  What about Thanksgiving, Rory?" Lorelai asked, obviously unhappy with the news that she'd just heard.

"We'll fly back home the night before Thanksgiving so we can celebrate with our families," Rory answered sweetly.

"We thought it would be nice for the kids to get away for a bit during their school break, so Mitchum offered them use of the Huntzberger private jet and any of the properties they own," Richard told Lorelai and Chris proudly.