Chapter 6: The Breaking Point

You know those moments in time where everything just seems to freeze. Not in a good way though. For example there's those iconic moments in movies where the couple finds themselves standing in the pouring rain, desperately starring at one another, and then dramatically colliding with one another in a passionate kiss. Yet, in these moments they always seem to slow everything down - the music, the rain falling around them, even their lips are moving in a timeless manner. 

Then there's those moments where everything seems to pause, but for the worse. That's what was happening right now.

The air was stagnant with tension. My chest felt like it had been hit with a ton of bricks, it was if I couldn't breathe. Was this a dream? Did I just imagine his words?

But the way he was looking at me, I knew I wasn't imagining.

Nobody dare speak a word, or perhaps nobody could find the words to muster.  Whatever Negan said, went. We were his, technically. I knew right then that there was no getting out of this. 

"No" is the first word spoken, not from me, but from Rosita.

She shook her head, stepping towards Negan, "No way in hell, you've got your stuff, you proved your point, you're not taking anymore of our people with you." 

I silently thanked Rosita for her bravery, but we knew Negan wasn't easily persuaded.

He lowly chuckled, "Okay Rosita, enough with the jealousy."

As I came back to my sense, I realized I was using Carl's shoulder to hold me steady, my own legs were even shook at the news. Carl glanced up at me with eyes full of rage and pain, knowing there was no way around this. Just as I recognized. 

Nothing could've prepared me for the way Rick looked though. Yes, he did just tell Negan that he didn't care for me. But in all reality that was most likely a cover up, taking one look at his face proved it was. He looked completely awe stricken, his jaw hanging loose and bright eyes watery. He wasn't going to let me go easily. 

"I-" Rick starts, glancing past Negan to where I stood, his eyes locking on mine, "I can't allow that."

Negan let out slight laugh, "Oh I'm sorry Rick, did you forget that I'm in charge now?"  

Rick shook his head, "No, but please," Rick sighs, meeting Negan's eyes, "Please don't take her. I'm begging you, we'll provide twice as much next week, we'll do anything - just please, don't take Mia."

My heart sunk at how much this was killing Rick. He was trying so hard not to lash out at Negan, knowing that would only make things worse, but the way Rick's grip tightened on Lucille I could tell he wanted to use it. 

"My, well isn't that adorable!" Negan mocked, his men laughing in return, "Seem's like our little Sheriff here has got a bit of feelings for good ol' Mia after all."

Rick's gaze bore at the ground, a habit I noticed he picked up when he was trying to keep himself together. 

"What I say goes Rick," Negan steps in front of him, his tone getting more firm, "Might I remind you, not to test me."

"Mia!" Negan calls, spinning around, "Come here darlin'." 

Everyone's gaze directed at me, making this all the more difficult as I stepped toward Negan. He stood there beaming next to Rick, just waiting for me to make it over to them. 

"Mia, wait" Carl's voice says from behind me, I turn just in time before he crashes into me. His hug felt like a goodbye, which scared the life out of me as I hugged him back. How could Negan do this to me? Take me away from everyone and everything I had ever loved, more particularly why me?