Chapter 18: Rise Up

Rick's POV

There I stood, the street of Alexandria. Dripping in sweat, surrounded by those who follow me and the corpses of those who did. I watched as he walked off, his arm around Mia, guiding her into his truck. My blood boiling with anger at the sight.

"I love you, Mia."

Why had I said that? Why now? I mean, yes, of course I did love her. I knew I did. I had been denying it for years, but seeing her with Negan just made me blurt it out. I should've waited, for a better time. But there was a part inside of me that wondered, would there ever be a better time?

For years I had bit my tongue when I caught myself thinking it. Though I knew it all along, she was the absolute love of my life. Perhaps I had blurted it out because I feared we were limited on time, or maybe because I took notice of the chemistry between Mia and Negan.

There was something between her and Negan, I had only witnessed them together very briefly but I knew that there was something there. A mutual attraction of a sort. The way she looked at him, it wasn't like she first did. She used to look at him with hatred and lower her eyes into a murderous glare at the sight of him. Now she looked at him differently, when their eyes met it was if they both were speaking to one another with just their eyes. Clearly something between the two of them.

I couldn't have that.

"Dad" Carl softly spoke as the cars drove off, my attention focused on them. There she went, he was taking her once again from me. "Dad."

My neck snapped towards Carl, reality setting back in. He had a grip on my shoulder, a way to keep me sane I supposed.

I turned to him, pulling him in to my chest.

"Don't you ever do something that stupid, ever again" I warn him, I pull him back to look into his eyes, "I mean it Carl."

He nods, "I just wanted to get her and Daryl back, for you dad" he sighs out, my heart filling with a sudden sadness at his words.

"You aren't obligated to do anything for me, alrigh'? We'll get them back, what matters now is keeping you safe. Keeping all of us safe," I directed my attention to everyone around me. All those I've grown with over the years, looking to me scared and worried eyes. Spencer's body lying limp on the floor, blood encircling his corpse. My direction averting to Olivia's body on the porch.

This didn't have to happen, this was an unnecessary turn of events. It was all because of Negan and his perpetual ways.

Enough was enough.

"C'mon Carl" I direct him, "We're going to The Hilltop."

As we arrived to The Hilltop, I could see Maggie excitedly waving from the top of the gates. Spying her alive and well, I couldn't help but smile. If only Glenn were here to see her like this, she was an absolute warrior. She was his warrior.

The gates opened and the small group of us stepped inside, myself embracing Maggie as soon as I saw her.

"You're okay?" I ask her lowly.

"I'm okay" she assures me, pulling apart from the hug, "The baby's okay. All of us."

A smile shone on my face, everything was going to be okay.

"You were right right from the start. You told us to get ready to fight. I didn't listen, and I couldn't," I sigh out, nodding at her, "I can now."

Somehow, someway, I was going to build an army. An army to rise up against Negan and the saviors. I was going to get Mia and Daryl back, one way or another. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a faintly familiar figure rounding the side of a barn. I averted my attention away from Maggie. My heart soaring at what I spied.

Daryl.

I glanced from him, back to Maggie, who is beaming. I stepped forward, my feet moving forward before my mind. No words were spoken, just a look of disbelief exchanged between the two of us.

Then, I pulled him in for a much needed hug. Myself melting into his embrace, as if it was my life support. Daryl was my brother and for a while he had been taken from us. But now we had him. He was safe, we were safe, everything was for the first time looking up.

From behind Daryl came a man I hadn't seen before, we pulled out of our revolutionary embrace as he approached. A tall, buff man - long blonde hair, and a fresh wound on his face. Much like the one that adorned Dwight's face.

"This is Nigel" Daryl introduced me to him.

Nigel outstretches a hand, meeting mine with his own.

"Did Negan do that to ya?" I ask him out of curiosity, he nods in response.

"Why?" I wonder.

Nigel sighs, shoving his hands in the front of his pockets, "Said I was getting too close to Mia, said she was his and needed everyone to know it. Made an example of me."

That only enraged me more. Who the hell did Negan think he was to claim that Mia was his and then attack an innocent man because of it? I was going to enjoy taking him out so very much.

"Tried to get Mia," Daryl gruffly informs me, "But she was out with Negan at the time, I didn't get a chance. Left her a note though, told her we'd be back for her."

I nod, "Good. Because we will."

We would, somehow, someway. I would get her back. We wouldn't rest till we did.

It was time to rise up.

AN: Just because you guys are so great, surprise! A double post. Here's a chapter from Rick's point of view but there's also a Mia chapter in store! Thank you guys for reading, so much. Love, Zan.