Chapter 31: To Be Selfish or Selfless?

The dead of night is a bizarre time to be awake, but yet, it is also one of the most appealing times of day in my opinion. The crickets chirp, the air is still, the stars shine as bright as diamonds. And there you are, trapped in the midst of the enchanting beauty.

Except, the load of guilt and fear coursing through my veins was a tad distracting from the way the stars lit up the night sky. Precisely 3am and I was on the move, my red backpack hiked up on my shoulders, and my boots tied in the correct marine like fashion my dad always wore. It was time.

I had left a scribbled letter lying on the kitchen counter, explaining why I was doing this, why I was leaving them behind like this, all signed with a "love, M." I knew that note would probably be torn up or crumbled in a fit of rage once Rick found it in the morning, but that didn't matter to me now. What mattered was successfully getting out of Alexandria without anyone noticing me. In the apocalypse, almost everyone knows to stay alive you have to stay alert. So, I knew there were others lurking about the compound right now, but I had to push that from my mind and hide from their sight. I stayed within the shadows, blending in with my black garments. The only light that could expose me were those beams shining through windows of people who hadn't yet gone to bed or the light given off by the stars in the sky.

I rounded the corner of the sidewalk, my attention on whoever was stood lookout tonight. It appeared to be Aaron, but his back was turned to me and I didn't plan on staying to find out. I figured if I left over the back of the gate, like I usually did to go see the sunrise every morning, I had a better chance of leaving without being caught. If I was caught then things would get messy and we didn't need messy.

"I'm tellin ya Daryl," a voice abruptly disturbs the peace, myself diving into the nearest bushes I could find to dodge whoever was coming my way. "She's all team him now, she doesn't give a shit about any of us."

Rosita.

Oh, that bitch.

How fucking dare she.

"Mhmm" Daryl mutters, raising an eyebrow at her in suspicion as he lights a cigarette in his mouth.

"Just listen to me" she insists, "You don't see it because you're blinded by the rest of them, but she is completely head over heels for that man. We need to get rid of her before she screws us all over."

"Okay Rosita," he chuckles, pressing the lighter back into her hands, "Whatever helps you sleep at night."

He casually pats her on the back and turns to leave, my vision of him now blocked by a large leaf. But Rosita stood still, absolutely enraged and her face said it all.

"If you don't help me get rid of that little bitch I'll fucking do it-" she's cut off from a rapid movement of Daryl backing her into the lamp post, pressing his forearm into her throat.

"You touch her," Daryl seethes through an enraged set of clenched teeth, "You die. That girls my family."

He lets go of her, herself letting out a disgruntled gasp for air, her hands flying to her throat. Daryl doesn't even give her a second look as he turns to walk off.

"I thought I was your family too" Rosita scratches out, coughing at the end of my sentence.

"You're more like the next door neighbor nobody likes" he calls back to her, his voice getting more distant. I had to stifle a laugh from the look on her face.

She let out an aggravated groan and then she turned and stalked off. Well, now that I knew Rosita was officially out to get me, perhaps it was better that I was leaving. After waiting a couple seconds, I emerged from the bushes, the target in sight of where I planned on escaping. As stealthily as I could I ran across Gabriel's yard, my feet bouncing right off the overly dry ground. I reached the wall in record time and hoisted myself up by Carl and I's rope. As I climbed the wall, the realization sunk in. If I did this, there was no coming back to Alexandria. Even if wanted to, would they want me?