Chapter 22: The Heart Wants What it Wants

The ride back to The Sanctuary was completely silent. I could tell Negan was pissed beyond words, but he hadn't raged about it yet. He was trying to piece things together, he was just struggling on doing so.

Once we finally rolled to a stop, Negan sat in the van for a few seconds longer than usual before climbing out. He let out a heavy sigh as he exited, only confirming my suspicions of his anger more. He turned towards me, waiting to me to get out behind him, but he didn't offer me out his hand. Instead he crossed his arms impatiently.

I climbed out. Dropping onto the ground with a satisfying plop. Negan eyed me, no amusement on his features, nothing readable except rage.

"C'mon Mia, time to talk" he said in a gruff tone, my heart clenching at those words.

Yes, Negan had treated me well, but he was Negan after all. Was he really going to let this just slide? I didn't think so.

Negan led the way to his bedroom, a hand on my shoulder, steering me in that direction. As if I was going to try and run if he let go of me. His grip was tighter than usual, I didn't like it. It made me feel attacked.

After what felt like forever, we arrived at his room. He pushed me in before him, closing the door behind him as he stepped in. I inhaled a shaky breath as he ushered towards the couch, expecting me to follow orders and take a seat. I obliged without restraint only because I didn't want to piss him off anymore than I already had. The only reading he acted positively when he first found me was because he was happy I wasn't putting up a fight, that was it. Now the real backlash was about to come out.

"Mia," Negan deeply inhaled, still standing as he sternly glowered down at me, "what the fuck was that?"

It was time to put on my best acting face and really pretend I actually regretted my actions. But, he didn't know about my reunion with everyone and how I wouldn't have traded that for the world. But he didn't need to know about that.

"I don't know" I sigh out, "I really don't know why I did that Negan, I'm sorry."

"Apology not accepted" he lightly swings Lucille onto the coffee table, myself jumping st the noise it made.

He notices my flinching at his abrupt actions. Studying my face for any type of regret or worry, but my face gave off nothing. Just a little bit of unease.

"Tell me the truth Mia" he commands, lifting my chin with hand, this time in a forced manner rather than an endearing one.

My heart rate accelerated, it was so hard to keep up this act as I looked into his eyes.

"Negan, I promise you-"

"Don't lie to me Mia!" Negan's grip tightened on my chin as he raised his voice.

Negan was definitely not messing around today. He was getting angrier and angrier as the seconds ticked by. Of course Negan had treated me better than anyone here, ever. But, he was Negan after all. Who knew if he was truly going to hold back his rage for even me.

I let out a shaky breath, "I heard that they were going to look for Daryl and I wanted to see if he was there."

Negan could tell I wasn't lying, which I wasn't, I was telling only half the truth. He released my chin, myself letting out a sigh of relief.