Chapter 28: Rain, Pain, Go Away

It was my 7th day back at Alexandria, conscious that is, and I had never felt more out of place in my life. I know, I know. This was my home, shouldn't this be where I feel the most accepted? The most welcome?

Well, I guess not.

Everywhere I looked I was met with judgmental stares. Looks of disgrace, as if they were saying, "Oh, we let Negan's pet back in here?" Right now I was focused on the gaze of a middle aged woman, she stood in her garden, glowering at me as if she had nothing better to do. From where I sat on the porch of Rick's house, I wanted to glower back, but I didn't even have the energy to do so. Let them think what they want, doesn't even matter in the long run.

As Rick approached the porch, he noticed the uncomfortable expression on my face. He slowly followed my glance to where the woman stood, as soon as Rick recognized what was happening, he did the glowering for me. She embarrassingly glanced away at his disapproving stare.

"Bitch" I heard Daryl mutter from where he exited the house and I couldn't help but crack a smirk at his word. He noticed how it lifted my mood and he too displayed the slight tint of a smirk to his lips.

"If you're having any problems with people, you let me know, alrigh'?" Rick recognized my slumped state and I nodded at his words. It was a sweet gesture of him but all the same it didn't make a difference. What was I supposed to do, "Riiiiiick, those girls are giving me mean looks again!" No, I don't think so, that is not how Mia Calloway rolls.

"How ya' feelin today?" Daryl asks of me, referring to my healing wounds.

I nod, "I've had better days, but today isn't bad. The pain has really gone down."

Daryl smirked, happy to hear I was doing better.

"Good, we gonna need ya in fighting condition soon, war's coming."

A knot twisted in my stomach at that thought. A war was coming, the war between my family and the sadistic, psychotic man that stole my heart. How absolutely horrifying and tragic was that?

"Might make Mia sit this battle out" Rick exhaled as he plopped onto the stool next to me, "After all you've been through, it might be best. Plus you're our best leverage, if you're alive and well, Negan won't hardly do shit."

Daryl nodded, "Man's a pussy when it comes to love," I was at he delicately slices an apple with a pocket knife, "Well, love for you that is."

Rick nodded, his face scrunching up in disgust at the idea of Negan loving me.

"Much as I hate to admit it, you are his weakness Meme," Rick shook his head, "Never thought I'd see the day where Negan cared about someone more than winning a fight."

Silence fills the air, the only noise is Daryl's apple slicing.

"But," I sigh, "Now I've become a major part of the fight."

It was true, yes this war was about power and freedom, but now I was key leverage for both. Negan loved me, I  was sure of this. With this he wasn't going to harm me or put us at risk. Cancelling the use of random explosives and barbarous killing. But if Negan got a hold of me again, Rick would put down his weapons immediately. It was quite conflicting really.

"That's why we've got to try our best to keep you out of it" Carl intrudes, coming out of absolute thin air.

"Where the hell did you come from?" I chuckle, furrowing my brows in confusion.

"None of your business" he smirks, lightening the mood, "But really though, if Negan really is in love with you, then you're our most vital weapon."