Chapter 13: Surprise

There's this moment as you wake up, where nothing seems real.

Everything melts into this puddle of confusion and fantasy and you have trouble depicting what is real and what is not.

As my eyes stayed closed, I felt like I was back in my bedroom. Not my bedroom back at Alexandria, my bedroom where I lived half of my life. The bedroom I slept in every night since I was brought home from the hospital, comfortably lying in the same twin bed I always had, snuggled into my favorite red blanket. I could practically hear the tv in the living room with Fox News drawling on about some recent issues, the smell of coffee strong and this aura of safety and relaxation enveloping me.

Then I opened my eyes.

I wasn't in my twin bed at home with my favorite red blanket and fresh coffee brewing just steps away from me. I was lying in Negans bed, the bright sunlight waking me as it poured through the windows. My heart fell as I realized that all I was remembering was a past life, a life I had so rottenly taken for granted. Oh how I wish I could return to that now.

The warm presence next to me let out a heavy sigh, directing my attention. I groggily rolled over to find myself face to face with Negan. The only difference being that Negan was already awake, his eyes squinted, still adjusting to the morning light.

"Morning" he gravely greeted me, his head still rested on the pillow.

I offered a small smile as a morning greeting enough. He may treat me kindly at times, but he was still Negan.

"Damn" Negan grumbled, reaching a hand over to the side of my head. Though he only lightly grazed my skin, I still winced at his touch.

"Doc wasn't kiddin' when he said there would be bruisin', you look like a true badass" he comments on the evident bruising on my face. If it was that noticeable, I feared to look at it myself.

His thumb softly traced a pattern on my cheek, I feel as if it was a sleep deprived, impulsive action in a way to comfort me. It felt odd, but all the same way it was soothing.

"How's it feel?"

In all reality, it hurt like hell. But there was no reason to open up to Negan about that.

"It's fine" I assure him.

His eyes crinkled in amusement at my little white lie, but he didn't comment on it. He just continued gazing into my eyes. In this moment, I wished we never had to leave this bed. I was, for the first time since I had been taken from Alexandria, completely content with my surroundings. 

"Hey Boss, rise and shine!" A familiar voice hollered through the door, slamming their fist upon the oak incase Negan hadn't awoken to the shouts.

"There's my alarm clock" Negan mumbled, pushing himself up into a sitting position in the bed. He tiredly rubbed his face, an attempt to wake himself up. As he did that, I came to the sudden realization Negan was shirtless.

He groaned as he pull the covers off of him, leisurely getting out of the bed itself.

"Holy back muscles."

I watched as he sauntered over to his dresser, pulling out another white shirt and a pair of pants. As he did so, I secretly admired his body from a distance, in hopes that he wouldn't catch me creepily staring at him. But hell, he was definitely fit, I'll give him that. Manipulative psychopath, but fit.

I sat up in the bed as Negan began getting dressed, catching sight of my reflection in the mirror.

"Oh god" I mutter, pushing the covers off of me to get a closer look at myself in the mirror. How was it that my entire face had changed over night? The whole left side of my face was bruised. Painted with black and blue and purple all over. The skin was lightly raised from the swelling. It started at my cheekbone and blended its way to the temple of my forehead, it wasn't horribly evident, but it was still there.