Stefan Salvatore: I'm not supposed to care about you.

Imagine:

Stefan x Reader:

Your name- submit what this is.

Something big had happened to all of us about a month ago, Damon had no choice but to do it. It upset me a lot, but I dealt with it eventually. You're probably wondering, what I'm talking about.

About a month ago, we had all gone through a traumatic experience but Stefan got it worse than all of us. We hated seeing him like that, so Damon suggested we turn his emotions off. I was hesitant at first, but I couldn't bare seeing him so distraught, so I went with it. I regret doing it the easy way, I should have helped him, I should have just been there for him, but instead we chose to tell him to turn off his emotions.

We didn't know what was going to happen when we did it, but I never would have thought that he would lose his feelings for me. I should have guessed it really, I should have seen it coming. He broke up with me the day after his feelings were shut off and hasn't spoken to me since. I would try and communicate with him but he would either glare at me, or just look off somewhere as and walk away. So I was done with trying to fix him, I was done trying to make him feel.

Once again, he was standing by the lockers, laughing away with a bunch of girls that were surrounding him. For the first time in a month he looked at me, like really looked at me. We made eye contact for a brief second before I turned away and headed in the other direction.

I felt a little hurt when he looked at me, for once I couldn't tell what he was feeling. He had no emotion showing on his features. Although I swear I saw his eyes soften just a touch when he looked at me, but I could be mistaken.

I had wondered outside, not even realising it, so I thought I should just make the best of it. I made my way over to the bleachers, walking up a few steps before sitting down and sighing. I grabbed a book out from my back. "Pride and Prejudice" I smile and open it to where the marker is, reading it. A few pages in, I felt a presence beside me. I sighed once more before looking up startled. It was Stefan.

"What are you doing here?" I mumble, not directing my eyes at him, as I put away my book, knowing I probably wont get to read anymore today.

"Wow, not even a 'hello'?" He smirks at me. My head instantly shoots up, and I glare at him, like he always does to me.

"You don't deserve a 'Hello'. You haven't said hello to me in nearly over a month. You have no right." I spit, before gathering my things to stand up.

Stefan's large hand wraps around my arm, pulling me back down, to face him. I keep my glare fixed on my features, not wanting to let my guard down. Although I felt butterflies when he touched me, I couldn't let him see through me. Not after everything he's done. He made me feel like shit.

"Y/N I'm sorry." He says softly, making eye contact with me, my eyes soften a bit at this gesture.

"You don't mean that. What kind of sick joke is this?" I say getting up again.

"Please sit down Y/N, I do mean it okay. I am so, so sorry. You don't understand how much." He replies, resting his hand on my leg.

"Why are you saying this Stefan? You have no emotion.." I reply hesitantly.

"That's the thing. I know I have no emotion, or I shouldn't have any at least because Damon told me to turn it off, but the thing is...I still have my feelings for you, they are so strong, and I'm so confused because I shouldn't be feeling anything at all. I'm not supposed to care about you." He explains, looking hurt and angry.

"Then why do you care?" I ask, feeling the tears well up in my eyes.

"Because I love you!" He exclaims, his eyes going wide, just like mine.

"Y-you love me?" I stutter, not believing what I just heard. He has never said he loves me ever, not even when we were together, and we were together for more than a year.

"Yes! I'm in love with you Y/N. That's why I care, I never stopped caring." He says, looking at me, his eyes scanning over my features.

"Then why did you break up with me? You made me feel like shit Stefan!" I was angry.

"At first I wasn't sure, I just thought that if I pretended to hate you, then you would find someone better than me, someone who can treat you right." He says, obviously feeling ashamed.

"I didn't want anyone else, I wanted you because I loved you." I said, as a tear rolled down my cheek.

"What do you mean." He says confused,

"I don't love you anymore Stefan." I lie, obviously I do love him but I don't deserve this, and I want him to carry on with his life, I want him to have fun.

I stand up and leave the bleachers, walking back into the school, leaving him there shocked. I had tears rolling down my face, but I kept wiping them away.