Chapter Eight

Kara woke up underneath a couch. Except she didn't initially know it. So, naturally, Kara started panicking. All she could see was suffocating darkness. Kara squirmed around, trying to find a way out of the tight space. She flailed her arms around and found purchase on what felt to be wood.

Oh... the couch leg. Kara thought as she pulled herself out from underneath a well worn yellow couch. Kara heaved out a sigh, enjoying the feeling of fresh air moving through her lungs. She stared at the fallen blankets of her pillow fort and sighed. She looked at her surroundings, noticing Lena's absence. She slowly got up, wincing when her joints popped uncomfortably.

"Lena?" She called out, while taking down the blankets. Kara's eyes searched the common room. She looked under the couches just in case. It seemed as though Lena had left. Kara checked the time and shook her head when the old grandfather clock told her that it was 3am. The sun was shining through the main window of the common room. Kara sighed and put the remaining pillows on the floor back in their proper places. She folded up the blankets and tossed them into a large wicker basket in the corner of the room.

Kara walked up the stairs to the common floor dorm. She walked through the small door that led into her room. Kara quickly changed into her jeans and a fresh sweater. On her way out she looked at the calendar hanging by the door.

Today was December 24th.

"Oh my god..." She whispered. "It's Christmas eve?" Kara turned around to look at the clock near her bed. "Oh my god!" She yelped, running out of her room. "Breakfast is almost over!"

The clock had read 11:15am. Breakfast ended at 11:30am. And Kara could not miss breakfast.

Kara ran down the hallways, skipped down stairs four at a time, and skidded around corners. The Great Hall was one corner away. Kara was out of breath but breakfast was more important than the loud wheezing making it's way out of her lungs. She sprinted around the last corner, only to hit something.

Or someone.

Kara flew forward, grabbing purchase onto whatever she could. She happened to grab onto a thick white sweater. In one dramatic flurry of movement and shouted expletives, Kara somehow found herself on top of Lena, nose to nose. Kara's arms were braced on either side of Lena's head, effectively stopping Lena from moving.

Both girls were breathing heavily. Lena stared into Kara's eyes and watched as they briefly moved to look downwards and then back up. Lena watched Kara slowly grin.

"Nice scarf." She whispered.

"A-are you going to get off of me?" Lena spluttered in reply.

Kara blushed and laughed nervously. "Right. Getting off. I can do that-" She coughed and quickly rolled off of Lena. Lena laughed when she saw that Kara had just decided to lay on the floor facedown.

"I didn't mean to say that." Kara said, covering her face. Her words were muffled against the floor.

"Uhuh." Lena said, watching Kara roll onto her back as she got up off the floor. She extended her hand to Kara. Kara sighed, face still red, and grabbed Lena's hand. Lena pulled her up and smiled when she saw Kara weakly grin back.

"Are you getting breakfast?" Lena asked looking at Kara shift from foot to foot.

"Yes..."

"Do you want me to sit with you?"

"Yes..." Kara said, looking up at Lena with wide eyes. "I know you were just leaving but-"

"Of course I'll sit with you, Kara." Lena smiled. Kara beamed at her and grabbed the end of her scarf to drag her over to the dining hall.