Chapter Nine

"I didn't- I didn't want to leave." Lena whispered, tightening her grip on Kara's hand as Kara led her through the common room and up the dimly lit stairs. "It's just... I don't know, I-" Her voice broke off.

Kara looked back at Lena and smiled. "It's okay, you don't have to tell me. Alex does the same thing sometimes, I get it."

Lena let out a breath. "Alright." She looked at her surroundings. "Where are we going, exactly?"

"My room. There's actually a bed." Kara smiled. "I mean it's a small bed but we're witches, right? Making it bigger is easy peasy."

"Y-yeah." Lena's breath got caught in her throat. We're sharing a bed.

Kara opened up the small door leading to her room, opening it wide enough to let Lena pass first.

"Sorry about the mess." Kara mumbled and waved her wand to sort the clothing into her closet. She blushed. "Sometimes I forget I can just wave my wand and make the mess disappear."

"What do you mean?" Lena asked confusedly, sitting on the bed in the corner of the room.

"Oh, right- I guess it never came up." Kara laughed.

"What?" Lena looked at Kara curiously.

"I'm- I'm actually a muggle born. Alex is my adoptive sister. Professor Danvers took me in for, um, for reasons."

"Reasons?"

"I'm still not like, one hundred percent sure?" Kara said, rubbing her neck.

"Oh, I see. What about your parents."

"My parents?"

"Don't you miss them?"

"Yes. I- I really do. But they did what they thought would be best." Kara sighed, sitting next to Lena on her bed.

"And do you think that's what was best?" Lena asked and moved a strand of hair from Kara's face.

"Not always. But I believe that they chose to let me go for good reasons. I-" Kara grinned. "I wouldn't've met you if I was still with them."

Lena blushed and looked down. Kara jumped off the bed and cleared her throat. "Anyways! We should probably make this bed bigger."

"Right." Lena said, shaking her head and waved her wand. She laughed when Kara was pushed over by the suddenly expanding bed.

"Hey!" Kara pouted, climbing up to the bed. "I wanted to do that."

"Too bad. You were just too slow. Always talking." Lena shook her head.

"There's no need to be rude , Lena."

Lena scoffed and pushed Kara off of her arm. "Turn the lights off I want to go to sleep."

"In jeans?" Kara asked.

Lena sighed and kicked them off, leaving her in a sweater and underwear. She looked over to where Kara was sitting, intensely staring at Lena's legs.

Why did I just do that. Lena thought, eyes widening. Just sleeping next to her will be hard enough, did I really have to take my pants off too?

Kara eyes snapped up to look into Lena's, darker than Lena had ever seen them. Kara winced and cleared her throat. "I'll, um, turn the lights off."

Kara flicked her wand and the room was suddenly pitch black. Lena heard the rustling of blankets as Kara settled next to her. Lena still didn't move. The room was painfully silent.

Lena took a deep breath through her nose and laid down. She swallowed, throat suddenly dry.

"Good night." Lena heard Kara mumble after a few minutes. Lena listened to Kara's breaths become shallow with sleep after a while.