Chapter Eleven

Alex slowly moved her head from under the running stream of water after she had calmed down. Her hand was throbbing. She took a deep breath and looked down at it, unsurprised to see a few bloody scrapes at the knuckles. Alex dejectedly took out her wand with her uninjured hand to dry off her clothing.

"Shit." Alex whispered, inspecting her hand more closely. She tried to flex her hand open and winced. Broken index finger .

"Stupid." She sighed. Alex left the bathroom and began to walk towards the infirmary. She felt lightheaded and unsteady on her feet after what had just happened.

"Danvers?"

Alex turned around at the annoyingly familiar voice. She took in a deep breath through her nose. "Sawyer."

"Why aren't you eating?" Maggie said, moving forward into the light of the hallway. Her Slytherin tie gleamed in the flickering light that illuminated them. Alex stared dully at Maggie's flashing Prefect badge and then looked up at her face. Maggie took a few steps forward. "Danvers?"

"I'm fine ." Alex snapped, looking up at the ceiling. "I'm just going to the infirmary." She held up her hand, grimacing when she felt a small stream of blood trickle to her wrist.

"Oh shit." Maggie whispered. "Do you- do you want me to walk you-"

" No. " Alex interrupted. She cleared her throat after a painfully silent few seconds. "No, I think I can handle it."

Maggie stared at Alex with an unconvinced look on her face. "I think I'm going to walk with you anyways."

"I said no ." Alex said angrily, turning around and unsteadily lurching forward towards the infirmary once more.

"Yeah, I don't think so." Maggie said, jogging up from behind and putting a steadying hand on Alex's elbow. Alex violently shrugged her off.

"Don't you understand what no means?" Alex said and stopped angrily, eyes flashing.

"I do, but you look like you're about to fall over." Maggie said chuckling a bit, she extended her hand towards Alex. "Just let me make sure you get there alright-"

She was quickly cut off by Alex roughly pinning her to the corridor wall. "I don't need your help." Alex hissed and grimaced when she moved her finger too much. She tightened her grip on Maggie's robes. "Why can't you-" Her voice broke. She slumped forward, resting her head on Maggie's shoulder for a moment. She snapped her head back up when she realized what she was doing. "Why can't you just leave me alone-" Alex's voice broke off again. Maggie looked at Alex with concern and then looked down at Alex's lips for a split second. Alex's eyes followed the movement closely.

Alex watched with interest when Maggie's breathing quickened.

Fuck it , Alex thought as she roughly kissed Maggie, pressing her harder against the cold stone wall.

Maggie moaned and wrapped her arms around Alex's neck, angrily kissing back. Alex pushed Maggie harder, deepening the kiss and reveling in the way Maggie groaned in response. Maggie pulled back quickly, eyes widening in panic. "W-wait, Alex- I don't-"

Alex let out a deep breath and shakily let go of Maggie. " Fuck ." She whispered, rubbing her face with her hand. Burning tears made their way out of her eyes. "I'm- I'm sorry-" She looked up at Maggie who was still standing with her back pressed against the wall. "I- shit."

Alex turned and ran in the other direction. Maggie snapped her eyes worriedly at Alex's retreating form. "Alex- shit. " She moved away from the wall. "Come- come back-" But her calls fell upon deaf ears as Alex ran, angrily swiping the tears out of her eyes.