Chp.4~ Patio of the Forgotten

"Teresa's POV"

"He's not the same Henry that I remember." I complained to my mom.

Once the first day back at school was over, I was utterly filled with joy. My first day had been complete hell. I had not only walked through the school doors wearing the wrong attire, but Henry had turned into a completely different person. He didn't read anymore, he was the star wide receiver and by the way everyone treated him, it was like he was the best thing at the place.

"I'm sure you're just thinking differently, It has been two years." My mother recalled as we sat on the couch that evening for dinner, eating Chinese take-out.

I rolled my eyes, "I doubt that Henry would completely change his entire life over the span of two years." I sunk lower on the couch, spinning my fork so I could grasp the noodles.

"People change, especially when they enter high school." she started, "and other times people change because they have to."

"What do you mean?"I muffled with a full mouth of noodles.

"Henry lives in a completely new town with a whole new environment. people change people, that's just the way life is, and maybe the kids that he hangs around now have changed him, maybe for the worse, or maybe the better." She explained. she patted my thigh before she gather her trash and headed towards the kitchen.

"Clean up your mess before bed." She walked over and gave me a kiss before heading up the stairs.

"Goodnight. I yelled as she stomped up the stairs.

People change people. The comment my mom had made kept floating around in my head like a loner cloud in the sky. If the people that Henry now hung around had changed him, then what will happen to me when I finally found my group of friends, or if I ever.

I kept asking myself the same question even the next day at school.

English moved slow as I was so tempted to turned and look at Henry. We haven't spoken a word since yesterday, which isn't so bad, but here and there my peripheral vision saw his head move towards my direction. It was awkward and uncomfortable, which is why I was so happy to here the lunch bell go off.

But without a friendly ally by my side, I walked alone through the hallways trying to remember where the cafeteria was located. I followed the crowd of students, hoping I was on the right track.

"Teresa!" A loud yell echoed through the hallway, I, like the rest of the crowd, stopped to watch Lola run down the corridor with her arms flying in the air "Teresa!" She stopped next to me and leaned over to catch her breath. With her hands planted on her knees, she looked up at me with wide eyes. " I was looking for you everywhere after the bell rang. Did you not here me yelling?"

"You were looking for me?"

"Por literalmente nunca. ¿Dónde estabas?" She seemed to ask me a question in Spanish, but I wondered if she always did that, spoke Spanish at little times like this.

She starred at me for a moment, waiting for an answer that I couldn't give her. "Yes! Caleb said he was looking for you everywhere yesterday, but he couldn't find you. Where were you?" She asked.

"I ate in the library, wasn't really in the talkative mood." I lied straight through my teeth. I couldn't find anyone to sit with, and my appetite was low from all the embarrassment I had adsorbed yesterday.

She linked my arm with hers and pulled me into the cafeteria. "Nobody sits in the library unless they're looking to be laughed at." Lola explained, she pulled me into the crowded cafeteria. It didn't even look like a table was open, some students were having to sit on the ground.