Chp.9~ Homecoming

"Teresa's POV"

"I don't know about this one you guys." I shouted from the changing room. It was Friday after school, and I was with Lola and Caleb as I promised. I stood in front of the 3 way mirror at The Northcross Mall. I tried on dresses, as I promised Lola, but all were unflattering. The mirrors reflected my pale white thighs and matching skin to go with it, my flat chest didn't mimic the ways the girl's did in the magazine, and my stomach peaked out of the two-piece dress I had on, my once toned abdomen was now part of the past.

"Come on Teresa I want to see!" Lola pouted from behind the door. I tried to pull down my dress top, but it was no use as it snapped back in place the minuet I let go.

I internally groaned. There was no way I was going to letting Lola and Caleb see me in this bright blue, two-piece, short skirt they called a dress.

"Come on Teresa, it cannot be that bad, amiga!" I could see Lola's feet from under the door, just waiting for me to open up. I could hear Caleb's drinking straw from the Auntie-Anne's that we went to squeak as he jammed it up and down the cups plastic cover.

"I don't like it! "I shouted. I tried pulling on the skirt, but it was no use. This was only just dress number 4, and things weren't looking well for me. I felt like a hooker in each and every dress that Lola had handed me. I wasn't trying to go to homecoming for people to stare if anything to draw attention away from me.

"Whatever, Teresa, just put your clothes back on and we'll head over to the Latino dressing store upstairs." Lola informed me. I quickly changed back into my clothes, avoiding every glance I could get form the mirror and opened the changing door to be instantly met with a harsh glare.

"That's the third dress you wouldn't let me see you in, I'm not even sure if you actually wore them." Lola crossed her arms. I hung the dress back onto the rack of other dresses I wasn't really impressed with.

"Believe me I did." I assured her. "And my thighs didn't look right, nor did my peeping stomach."

"Oh, please Teresa you are the only Chica that I know of that has to get size 2, how big do you actually think you are?" Lola landed her hands on her hips.

I went silent, "I don't know." I whispered. I know that I wasn't big, people told me that I was skinny almost all the time, but my weighs just not the same since after dance. It was like dance stripped away everything I had.

"Wow Lola, way to make things awkward." Caleb walked up from behind us, still chewing his straw. Lola smacked him against the arm, and their same usual argument happened, but I wasn't listening.

I still remember it like it was yesterday, the start to my crisis of lacking self-confidence. Kindergarten through 3rd grade was hard for me. I was the biggest kid in my grade, height and weight. All of my school photos showed my puffy cheeks and circular face. Mom even tried putting them up, but I refused to go up the stairs and have to stare at myself like some widow missing their other. It all happened when Rachel Kohl invite the whole 3rd grade class to her annual, 'Fun in The Sun Pool Party'. Other girls had on cute ruffle bottoms and sparkly tops, but since I was way too big to wear the cute stuff, I had to wear an ugly plain green, one piece that showed off all the wrong sides. Once I entered the gates of her house, people pointed and laughed. I ran back to my mom's car and begged her to take me home. After that embarrassing moment I was called, 'Terry-tots' and, 'fatty' the rest of that year. I then worked harder in dance classes and dropped twice my weight. I was over powered with confidence until my dance studio moved, but then I was offered to dance with Drew at his studio and I had gain confidence even more. Now that everything was all over, dancing was something I didn't even think about anymore, and I started to gain back weight starting eighth grade year. I liked my body when I had it in shape, but it all disappeared along with my dancing, and the more I didn't dance, the more I felt that my 'terry-tots' was going to come back and bite me in the butt.