Chp.16~ Alex Wagner

"Lola's POV"

"Run it again Lopez. You've got to learn to keep your legs straight." Coach Denise bitched on about.

I rolled my eyes when she turned her back to me. I had for the past two months considered running out of here shouting at the top of my lungs I quit, but I couldn't. Believe me, it wasn't because I love gymnastics, it was more for the fact of the incredibly muscular and attractive guys that had worked out during my routine. I loved when they did the rings, flexing their humongous biceps, and showing off their brilliant thigh muscles. I was the only one that starred at them differently, everybody always stuck with one concept, "no boyfriends, no troubles." And that meant no starring, not talking to, and definitely no flirting. I would catch their eyes sometimes averting to me, and I would give them a slight grin, but it was soon met with a loud yell and an even more annoying voice.

"Come on, Lopez, we don't have all day!" Coach shouted from the floor, "and don't stop until it's right."

"I'm trying my best." I mumbled under my breath, pressing the large chalk to my grips.

"Then try harder." She frowned. I hadn't notice the words fell from my mouth so loudly.

"If it help turn your body before you flip and it'll make it a lot easier keeping your legs together." A voice sounded behind me. I turned vastly, meeting contact with the new gymnast who didn't speak a word unless having to. A few of her kinky curls let loose of its hair tie, falling and framing her face. She wore the exact same leotard as me, naming her a Top Elite like myself.

"Gracias." I thanked.

"De nada." She grinned.

"Lola." I smiled, outstretching my hand for her to shake.

"Ava." She presented, shaking my hand lightly.

"Lopez! Let's go!" Coach screamed at me, I dropped the chalk back into the bucket and hurried over. I did a front flip to mount up onto the low bar. As soon as my hands were in contact I prepared to start my routine. Pirouettes, circles, and release moves were all bundle up into the 45 second performance.

"Straighten those legs Lopez!" coach shouted as I did my handstand position on top of the bar, I took another large gulp of air. After another three acts, it was the Giegner, one of the toughest moves I had performed yet.

"Let go Lopez, you got this." Coach stood a few feet behind me as my safety rope, ready to catch me if I fall. One more deep breath and I turned my body before releasing off the bar and doing a 360 twist, legs straight, landing back perfectly on the bar, like I never left.

"Yes, Lopez! That's it, right there!" She clapped rapidly. I dismount the bar by doing a simple double back and landing perfectly, without tumbling.

Coach patted me on the back proudly. I took a large gulp of my water, finding myself starring back at the guys who have moved on to the vault. One always caught my eye, Avery Portman. He was the top of the Boys Elite team, and never failed to impress everyone that watched him. His long brunette hair was tied back into a ponytail. He had majestic blue eyes and deep dimples that came out when he smiled. He was always watching me, and I was always watching him. Though this time he was focused on something else. His new girlfriend, Willow Menken. She smiled gleefully as he came over and hugged her. I wished that cold be me, but even if, I would get in trouble. I couldn't even think of who my last boyfriend was, probably so dweeb from 4th grade. I huffed, still starring at the newest couple and Lovelorn before sitting in the chairs and waiting on Caleb. Now that he had his license, he offered to take me home after practice because he had his band rehearsal held in the orchestra room. I hated having to wait on my mom, she always took a good, twelve to fifteen minutes just to get into the car. She would've been another 30 minutes, for sure.