Angels Fall***

Chapter 12: Angels Fall

Dipper's P.O.V

This was baffling. What was going on? I stood in a small house as Bill sat crying at a table, tears running down his face. The kind woman that let him into her house was bustling around, making tea.

I was so confused. That boy, that boy the befriended Bill— he was me. I didn't see it until after— my stomach lurched and I raised a hand to my mouth, trying to force my stomach back into the correct location.

"Here, this will settle your stomach." Bill needed it. He was trying so hard to keep the contents of his stomach in his stomach. Bill pulled the hot cup to himself and took a strong sip of the unfamiliar taste. It was tea, but different from what he was accustomed to.

"What— do you know w-what hap-pened to him?" Bill choked out the words but the woman silently pulled the mug back to his lips, forcing more down his throat.

"You're the monster aren't you?" Bill froze, choking slightly on the tea. He pulled the mug away from his mouth and nodded lightly. The woman sighed and pushed the mug back to his mouth.

"Dipper was a strong boy. He was employed by me. He worked hard, and I paid him well. Said he was working so that his friend could be happy. The poor boy, I didn't understand at the time, until he started talking to me a bit more, trusting me. He said he befriended the monster of the forest. 'He's only a boy like me, I don't understand why everyone is scared of him.' He was ten when he was asking these questions. I thought he must be playing a game or something, but when he asked me to help him make something for this friend, I knew he was serious." The woman's gaze landed on the eyepatch Bill was wearing.

"How long ago was that?" The woman frowned, pondering odd thoughts.

"I believe it was three months ago." Bill nodded, staring down his now empty cup. The contents did make him feel better. "You can take it off. I won't be scared." Bill lifted his head to the woman, who wore a kind smile. Bill bit his lip and nodded, lifting his tired arms up as he undid the small bow at the back of his head. As the eyepatch slid off, Bill's eye slowly opened, and he wanted to run and hide, scared of what was to come.

"Do you know why he made me the eyepatch?" The woman nodded.

"Yes. He wanted to help his best friend. The person he loved. No one knew where he left when he visited you, but people guessed, and a lot of the kids didn't like that. Dipper was bullied quite often, but I guess being different is viewed as a crime here, is it now?" Bill knew she was talking about his eye. He knew that he was hated for being different. He knew that he was hated for his eyes being scary and disgusting. But, he never knew Dipper's feelings for him. What kind of love was it? Was he better off not knowing?

"I only got the eyepatch a month ago. How long did it take to make?" The Woman frowned, her small smile wiped away.

"When he asked me to teach him, it was two months ago. We made it within a week since the boy had already procured the materials for it. It amazed me that he would go to such lengths for someone he barely knew—" Bill had to cut the woman off.

"No, he knew me too well. He knows me more than my sister does! I trusted him! He was the one that wouldn't tell me anything! I came here looking for him because the one I loved the most went missing! Now don't go telling me that he barely knew me! He wouldn't tell me anything. I thought he trusted me." Bill, who was now standing up with his hands slammed flat on the table, relaxed and returned to his seat, pulling the silver band out of his pocket, "Do you know anything about this?" He showed it to the woman who sighed.

"That was a special gift. I gave him the money one time after I saw him gazing at it at the jewellers. Dipper almost refused the money, but after I convinced him that he can buy it for someone special, his eyes lit up more than I could have ever seen. After that, he began talking about you. Your eyes mostly, about how much he loved seeing them. How sad he would get when you wouldn't look at him fully, how he loved staring into your eyes because he believed he could see the world in a whole new way." Bill didn't really know what to say. This woman was telling Bill everything he ever wanted to hear from Dipper, but it wasn't coming from Dipper. Dipper was gone. Dipper was dead. The thoughts returned and Bill's stomach threw itself yet again.