NINE

NINE
▬▬▬▬▬▬

She could feel them watching her closely as she finally exited the room, her eyes were bloodshot, her cheeks raw. She ignored their eyes, knowing he told them the full story, they had needed to know the reasoning behind her panic attack. Yet she was unsatisfied with the eyes that followed her, waiting for another breakdown.

She made her way into the kitchen of the house, freezing as the pregnant woman faced her. She could see the worry on her face, the woman even going as far as to try and cover her belly with a large jacket. Amelia stared empty at the woman's stomach, trying to ignore the jealousy and pain she felt.

A hand on her back snapped her from her trance, her eyes darting up to meet his as he stood at her side. She blinked the unshed tears from her eyes, the liquid leaving a path down her already sore cheeks. "This is Laura," Clints voice pulled Amelia from Bucky, her eyes darting to meet his. He now stood at his wife's side, in a slightly protective manor, watching the unstable redhead closesly.

Amelia forced a smile on her face, pursing her lips as she swallowed thickly, "hello," Her voice was quiet, barely heard in the kitchen. Everyone seemed to be watching with a waited breath, wondering how Amelia would react. Yet, the redhead simply glanced around the kitchen, trying her hardest to not think of the child she had lost or the child Laura carried. "You have a beautiful home."

Laura smiled with sympathy, eyes sad as she eyed the younger woman, "thank you." She stepped around Clint slightly, "are you hungry? I can make you something to eat?"

Amelia shook her head silently, eyes refusing to meet anyone else's, "a sandwich would be good." Bucky had spoke, leading her towards the table.

She shook her head," I'm not hungry," she stated simply, taking a seat.

"You haven't eaten since yesterday," Bucky reminded, the noise of Laura making a sandwich drowned out behind them. He kept his attention on the redhead, the girl playing with a string on his sleeve as a destraction. "You need to eat, lia."

Teary green eyes met his, the pain and despair in them taking his breath away, "I don't want to eat."

He smiled at Laura in thanks as she placed a simple ham and cheese sandwich in front of them. Turning his attention back to Amelia he smiled sadly, "You've got to eat doll."

It was a simple statement, but to Steve it meant so much, knowing his friend was slowly returning. To Amelia, it brought a fresh wave of tears, her eyes squeezing shut as she tried to fight them off. At times the feelings she felt at his side overwhelmed her. At times the feelings he held for her scared her. Yet it never seemed to amaze her just how much he truly cared. So with shakey hands, she picked up the sandwhich, taking a bite from it and forcing it down despite how she gagged. She ate it silently, with a single hand, the other clutching to Bucky for dear life. Terrified to have him ripped away from her just as easily as her child.