PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

She woke to an unimaginable pain, a pounding in her head so loud she swore she could hear her own heartbeat within each thump. She could hear every pump of blood that flowed through her veins, the unmistakable sound of the throbbing so loud she could only focus on it. She was disoriented, her vision blurry and an oddly familiar metallic flavor swirling on her tongue. Her face scrunched up in pain, her fingers gripping tightly to the material she laid on as she tried her hardest to focus on anything but the pounding in her skull.

As the headache was pushed to the back of her mind, her vision cleared giving her a better view of the plain ceiling above her. Her eyes darted with the speed of a lightening bolt around the room, trying to gather anything that would hint where she currently laid. The room was a boring grey color, the cinderblocks glistening  as if they were wet. A single light fixture hung from the ceiling, a simple lightbulb incased in a metal contraption that allowed little light to escape. Despite the little amount of light, it was enough for her to assess the room.

She was quick to sit up, vision blurring for a moment before she focused on the glass wall across from her. Small holes along the wall allowed air into and out of the room, the hall way on the other side empty. Across from her she spotted two other rooms, each filled with their own person. A male was in the room on the left, his curly brown hair tipped silver and flopping in his face as he darted around the room at an unnatural speed. A girl, similar in age to the male, sat in the other room, a red glow escaping her hands as she held up toy blocks in front of her.

The female watched the two in worry, confusion in her eyes at the abilities the two seemed to have. It was unnatural, and odd to the young girl, never once could she remember meeting, or seeing, someone who could do what these two could do. As she pushed herself to her feet, she carefully made her way towards the glass, stumbling from unuse of her legs. Palm against the glass, she froze, her eyes drawn in to the image before her. Somehow she could see another before her, with long locks of red hair that flowed down past her elbows in messy waves. Light green eyes stared back at her, a hallow look in them to match that wary and hollowed look on her face. Uneasy, the female called out, alarmed as the redhead before her did the same thing. Gathering the facts in front of her, the female determined the redhead was herself, and grew increasingly alarmed as she realized she had no idea who she was. And that terrified her more than not knowing where she was.

Her attention shifted to the other two across from her, both of them were watching her with fascination and wonder in their eyes. "Hello?" Her voice was raspy, sounding foreign even in her ears. She silently wondered how long it had been since she last spoke.

The two across from her looked at the cinderblock wall between them as if they could see each other, before facing her once again. The male opened his mouth to respond when a loud creak filled the room, the trio shifting their attention. The redhead could see nothing, but the sound of footsteps sent the two in front of her backwards, away from the glass wall. She watched them worried, for a moment, before the man walking down the hall stole her attention. His hair was short, and his eyes were sinister, but his grin terrified the girl as he approached her.

"Welcome back Amelia,"

Never before could she remember being so terrified of a simple statement.

••••

Amelia sat confused as the man before her spoke, his words stern and serious as he read over a file with her name on it. The words he spoke didn't sit comfortably with the redhead, despite the words he spoke before hand.

"Everything I'm about to tell you is true, these are the records you provided us with."

"Amelia Barnes, at thirty six years of age, you came to us two years ago volunteering to the experiments where you lost your memory." She didn't want to believe him as he spoke, her mind trying so hard to prove he was wrong but coming up blank every time. "You volunteered once when your remaining family past away, leaving you completely alone. You spoke of wanting to do something good, since you felt you had no purpose now that your family was completely gone."

A single brow rose at his statement, "family?"

Strucker, as the man had introduced himself, paused, looking up at her, "yes, your mother, father, brother, husband and son."

Amelia felt heartbroken, as the man continued to speak as if the knowledge he was bestowing upon her wasn't something as powerful as it was. The lack of memories broke the girl, not remembering these people he spoke of. As far as she could remember, which was obviously nothing, she had no memories of a child she bore or a husband she wed. She had no memories of a mother who tucked her in at night, or a father who scared away the ghost, or a brother who told her of said ghost. It was the unknown that left her brokenhearted, and terrified for what would come as the memories resurfaced, if they resurfaced.

"You are almost done with experiments, only a few more trials to complete and then your training will begin." Strucker closed his speech, his eyes locking with hers. "Do you understand?" Nodding faintly, despite her confusion, Amelia followed Strucker as he moved down the hall. "Here is the rec room, where you'll spend small allotted periods throughout the day between experiments, tests and training." She couldn't peer into the room, the large cinderblocks hiding it from view. Striker continued down the hall, pointing to the multitude of doors they pass on the way back to her sleeping room, although she found it more similar to a cell belonging to a prisoner.

"Who are they?" Amelia cut that man off, pointing to the two from the room across from her, they were moving down the hall, followed by large men, moving away from the redhead.

"The twins," Strucker breathed out aggrivated. "Pietro and Wanda Maximoff, like you they volunteered for the experiments."

"These experiments..." Amelia trailed off as they approached her room. "They give them their abilities?"

"Yes" Strucker grunted. "I thought you said you understood." Amelia nodded, eyeing the empty cell she was to sleep in. "You will stay here until they come release you for meal time. Tomorrow we get you started." Closing her in the cell, Sturcker continued down the hall, never once sparing a glance back towards the brokenhearted redhead.

Amelia sat on the bed, eyes searching the room for anything to distract her from the thoughts and questions circling in her mind. With a heavy sigh, she laid back in the bed, sleepy eyes staring up at the ceiling in boredum.

The unknown, she decided, scared her more than the known ever could.