Awkward Mess

The rest of the night was an awkward mess.

Ever since their meeting with Beth, Emily and Juliet had their guard up. After dinner was dessert, then people began leaving. Beth had to leave even earlier than everyone else because she had a family emergency. Emily looked up to see her kiss Aaron goodbye then leave. Hotch caught Emily staring so once Beth left, he made his way over to Prentiss.

"So, how long are you here for?" He asked casually.
"Juliet and I are staying with JJ for a few nights," Emily told him while staring at her daughter, who was playing with Henry and Jack.
"That's good, you know it was great seeing you. If you're interested-"
"Can we cut the crap Aaron," she cut him off with a cold tone.
"Emily I-"
"Have a girlfriend," she finished his sentence. "I know. She seemed great, but if you're going to gloat, I really don't want to hear it," she said starting to walk away. He quickly reacted and grabbed her arm.
"You think I brought her here to show her off? Emily, I didn't even know you were coming. No one told me anything," he defended himself.
"Oh really. How do you expect me to believe that you didn't bring her here to make me jealous?" she questioned.
"Jealous? If I remember correctly, you're the one who left me!" he spat out.
"Stop blaming me!" she screamed.
Before he could say anything, Rossi appeared.
"What the hell is going on?!" He demanded to know.
"Nothing," Emily said quietly and began to walk away.
"No. You two are going to sort this out now. Stop acting like immature children and fix this. Before you left, you two were best friends. Even lovers I might add, but now all you do is bicker, and honestly, I'm sick of it." Dave dragged both of them into his kitchen and made them sit down.
"I'm not talking to her until she apologizes," Hotch muttered.
"For what?" Emily snapped.
"For leaving me without a valid reason," he said quietly.
Prentiss looked up at him and sighed.
"We just weren't working anymore, and everyone could tell," she tried to explain to him.
"I said I want to keep trying. You were the one who wanted to just give up and leave because it got harder," he pointed out. She gave him a look that said it all.
"I can't do this," she sighed and stormed out. Before Dave could run after her, Aaron said,
"Let her go, it what's I did."
"And what good did that do?" Rossi asked. Hotch nodded and really thought about that.

"Are you okay?" Juliet asked when she saw Emily walk out of the house and make her way towards her.
"Yeah, I'm fine," Prentiss lied.
"You know we could hear you guys yelling," Juliet said quietly.
"I'm sorry," Prentiss replied with.
"If it makes you feel any better, I think you're prettier than her," Juliet told her mom with a small smile. It didn't make Emily feel better. While placing her arms around her she whispered in her ear,
"You always know just what to say."
"Aaron's stupid for letting you go," Juliet said quietly. Prentiss gave her kid a small smile but thought to herself,
Maybe I was stupid for leaving him.

The night progressed and soon everyone left. Juliet was in the car on the way home to JJ's house and she passed out next to Henry.
JJ and Emily were wide awake, as well as Will.
"So, I heard you and Hotch got into a pretty heated argument," JJ said quietly. Emily rolled her eyes and looked up at her friend.
"It was nothing."
"The argument or your relationship?" JJ asked seriously.
"JJ, please," Emily begged, not wanting to get into a fight with her.
"No, Emily. I know you think you guys were able to keep it a secret, but you didn't do too well. We could see they way you looked at each other and how he watched you. When you started fighting, it was like our 'family' was breaking apart. Then you left, and it hasn't been the same," JJ told her.
"Listen, I had to leave. For me, and for Juliet. She felt trapped her and to be honest, so did I."
"Emily I-"
"JJ, it's fine. I just needed a fresh start with Jules."
"You know, we're always here for you. If you ever want to come back, I bet Hotch will find a job for you to do," JJ said.
"Thanks, but I'm pretty content with my job in London. Plus, Juliet loves it there, so."
"Well if you ever change your mind," JJ offered.
"Thank you," Emily responded with and looked down at her sleeping child.

The car pulled up to the house and everyone piled out. Emily carried Juliet and brought her to their room then placed her on the bed. She put her pajamas on and pulled the blanket up to keep her warm. Then, she shut the door, got changed and joined the girl.
"Mom?" Juliet asked as Emily laid down.
"Yes?"
"I missed the team."
"Me too."
"I missed Hotch too," Juliet added just to see what her mother would say.
"Oh," was all Emily whispered.
"Did you miss him?" Juliet pressed.
"I think I did."
"But what?"
"Seeing him with Beth tonight was like a slap in the face," Emily said with a light laugh, even though she wasn't really all that happy.
"I wish you guys were still together," Juliet mumbled a little to herself.
"What's that?" Emily asked.
"Nothing," Juliet said quickly.
"We should get some sleep. We only have a couple more days with the team, and you don't want to be tired the whole time," Emily said pulling Juliet close to her and resting her head on top of the child's.
"Night mom. I love you."
"I love you too, my sweet child," Emily replied. Juliet fell asleep instantly, but it took Emily a little longer, because her mind kept traveling back to her nights with Aaron or how they would spend so much time together and how happy her made her feel. As her mind raced, so did her heart and next thing she knew, she missed him more than ever.