Breakups and Makeups

At around ten, Emily woke up, and she smiled since her little girl was still snuggled up next to her.
Prentiss began stroking her hair and in that moment she felt like maybe, just maybe, everything could go back to normal. With a flutter of her eyes, Juliet looked up to see Emily smiling down at her.
"Morning sunshine," Prentiss said softly as she tucked a piece of hair behind Juliet's ear. The kid smiled. She loved when Emily said that, and lately she hasn't. After a moment of silence, Juliet said,
"I'm sorry."
"For what? I should be the one apologizing to you," Emily told her.
"I shouldn't have run away. It was a stupid idea," the child said.
"Yes. It was. You could've froze to death out there. And trust me, if that happened I wouldn't know what to do with myself."
"I'm sorry mom. I'm never leaving you again," Juliet said and snuggled even closer into Emily.
"Promise?" Prentiss asked.
Juliet looked up and smiled. She would always make Emily promise her things to ensure that it wouldn't happen.
"I promise," the kid said, and she meant it.
"So, did Nick go home or something?"
Crap!
Prentiss forget all about her boyfriend. She got out of bed and ran to her room, only to find it empty. Then, she made her way back to Juliet and got back in bed with her.
"What's going on?" Juliet asked.
"He left," Emily said.
"This is all my fault. Mom, I'm so sorry. I know I may have acted like I hated him but-"
"It's okay," she interrupted her.
"When I told him you were missing he didn't even get up to help look for you."
"So?" Juliet asked.
"That's where I draw the line. He wasn't willing to help me look for my missing child, why should I stay with him. Family is everything to me, and if he doesn't respect that, then he can leave," Prentiss said proudly.
"I've missed you," Juliet said with a grin. Emily just leaned down and covered the girl's face in kisses, which made her giggle.

The two spent the rest of their day in bed, snuggling and talking. They were catching up for lost time. For meals, Emily would quickly make something and then bring it in for them to eat in bed. They watched a little tv, but mostly talked.

It was a little after four when Juliet suddenly asked,
"How did you know where to find me last night?"
"I called a friend who helped me," Emily mumbled.
"Who was up then?" Juliet wondered.
"Hotch," Prentiss said quietly.
"As in Aaron Hotchner?" Juliet asked.
A small smile appeared on her face, and she didn't even try to hide it.
"Don't give me that look. When I found your room empty, I noticed your phone was here. He was the last person you called, so I thought he would know," Prentiss said in defense.
"What did you talk about?" Juliet asked curiously.
"You," Prentiss said.
"Did you tell him about Nick?"
"Yeah."
"What did he say?"
"Listen, when we talked, finding you was our priority, not our love lives, okay?"
"Do you miss him?"
"Juliet," Emily pleaded.
"Emily," the child said back in the same manner.
"I do," Prentiss said.
Before he kid could say anything Emily added, "But that doesn't change anything. He has a girlfriend and I have...I don't even know what to call him."
"A bed buddy?" Juliet offered.
"Juliet, I wasn't just sleeping with...no. We're not having this discussion right now."
"Mom, you miss him, and he misses you. Can't you two just get over yourselves and get back together for Gods sake."
"It's not that easy," Emily said.
"How?"
Before she could answer, there was a loud knock at the door. Emily gave her daughter a confused look before getting up to answer it.

"Nick," she said with a surprised look.
He looked angry.
"Where the hell were you this morning? I woke up and you were gone," he demanded to know.
"I was in Juliet's room with her."
"What? Why were you with that little brat? She was being awful to you," he said coldly.
"Hey, she not a brat. She was sick last night and-"
"Wait, didn't you say she was gone or something?" he asked.

Juliet got out of bed and decided to watch their little argument unfold.

"Why would you care?" Prentiss asked back.
"I can't believe you fell for that. Your kid ran away for attention, Emily."
"She's having a hard time adjusting to everything, that's all."
"I can't believe your defending her. She was terrible to you, to us, last night."
"Nick, she's my daughter. Last night she wasn't herself. I know my kid."
"No she's not your daughter. She's just an orphan-"

Right then, Juliet felt her heart tighten and she felt sad. She hated when people said Emily wasn't her mother or that Juliet wasn't her daughter. Not because it was mean, but because it was true.

"You have no right coming in here and saying that," she told him.
"Emily, it's just us," he said taking a hold of her hands. She immediately pulled out of his hand and backed away. 
"Juliet is apart of my family. I don't care if we're related by blood, she's my daughter. You cannot come into my house and say things like that."
"Okay, chill. I'm sorry," he said.
"I think you should go," Emily offered.
"Emily let's not make any rash decisions here," he said.
"Get out," she said again.
Right when he was about to turn and leave, he caught a sight of Juliet.
"You," he hissed. "This is all your damn fault. You little brat."
Emily snapped her head in Juliet's direction and saw her little girl watching them with tears in her eyes and a blanket wrapped around her.
"Honey," Emily whispered.
Juliet walked towards Prentiss and nudged her head into her side. Emily put her arms around Juliet, who was now directly in front of her with her head leaning on her mother's stomach.
"Fucking bullshit!" Nick said quite loudly.
"Nick!" Emily screamed and covered up  her child's ears.
"Oh please. She's been cursing up a storm and you know it. You lied Emily. You said she was sick, and honestly, Juliet looks fine to me."
"Her temperature was extremely low this morning."
"Yeah, because she ran away and was outside for who knows how long," he stated.
"Yeah, and you want to know why she ran away?" Emily asked.
"Because she wanted attention?"
"No, because she was sick of being the only mature one here. I've been wasting my time with you and during that time, I was a horrible mother to my child. She was sick of being around me, and to be honest, I don't blame her. You were a terrible influence on me. I'm not blaming this on you, but if I could, I wish I stayed home that night instead going out to the bar and meeting you!" Emily yelled.
"You're pathetic," Nick told her.
"Get out," she said again.
"If I leave, then we're done. You can't call me up whenever your lonely or-"
"Works for me. Now go," Emily said pointing toward the door.
"This is all your fault. You ruined everything," Nick said to Juliet.
Emily placed her around protectively around her daughter and said to Nick,
"You did that all on your own."
Nick gave both women a mean glare and began walking out.
"You're just mad because my mom won't sleep with you anymore," Juliet added just as Nick walked through the doorway.
Emily was shocked.
"You little-" Nick began to say.
Prentiss closed the door on him and locked it quickly before he could re enter.
Then, she gave her daughter a surprised look, but Juliet just smiled at her, and walked back to her room.