Chapter 4

Clarke

My alarm clock went off with an annoying beeping, as I was so used to from everyday since I started Skaikru High School, unfortunately. It kept ringing, causing me to groan. I pushed my head into my pillow, pulling the sides of it around my ears to block out the sound of the beeping. Finally, after a minute of complete frustration, I threw out my hand and hit the snooze button, ending the ear-splitting noise. What time was it?

I looked up at the clock and saw the time. 11:45 am. Memories of last night suddenly flooded my mind. Memories of the kitchen, Pike, Bellamy. Oh god, Bellamy. I was supposed to meet him in fifteen minutes! I jumped up from my bed, running to my closet. Without looking at what I was picking, I threw on an outfit. I brushed through my hair, making it it's usual curly texture. I applied a layer of mascara and brushed my teeth, running out the door and forgetting everything else. It was only when I was in the hallway did I realize how I looked. My blue bomber jacket was inside out and my blue shirt was sliding uncomfortably off my shoulder. I quickly fixed my clothes and continued walking. I passed a few people in the hallway. I saw Harper, Monty, and Jasper in the entrance room, laughing, Octavia Blake walking around the hallways, Atom trying to get her attention.

After a few minutes, I made it to the library, down a hallway off of the entry way. The library was huge, the walls high and a big chandelier hanging from the ceiling, which was painted blue with white clouds floating around. It was pretty, but I could've done a better job. Floor-to-ceiling bookshelves covered every wall, filled with multicolored books, more than I'd ever seen in my life.

Standing in the middle of the library, next to a desk covered in books and surrounded by lounging chairs, was Bellamy Blake. His dark hair curled around his head as he read, his face pointed toward the floor. He had high cheekbones and a strong jaw, and, I had to admit, he was good looking. As I walked toward him, smirking, he looked up from his book. I couldn't tell what book he was reading, but it was at least 200 pages.

"Hey, Princess." Bellamy smirked right back at me, his eyes sparkling with something I couldn't tell.

"For the millionth time, it's Clarke." I rolled my eyes as I stood across from him, crossing my arms over my chest. I don't know why, but I always caught myself in this pose, with my hip out and my arms where they were in front of my body. It seemed like my go to pose.

"Whatever, Princess. Say, why don't we get out of here?" he said, winking.

"We just got here, Bellamy." I felt a flutter in my stomach as he winked, as if I were nervous. Which I probably was, since I knew Bellamy's track record. Everyone knew how he brought a girl home a day, making them fall for him, then getting bored with them soon after.

"Yeah, but too much time in a library like this can drive a person crazy." Bellamy walked past me, leaving the library, and I followed soon after, incredulous. I caught up to him, matching his stride, as he walked down the narrow hallway, completely empty of people.

"So, I've been wondering something." I said, trying not to act suspicious. Bellamy nodded his head, signaling for me to say what was on my mind. "Why did you do it?"

"Do what?" Did he seriously not know what I was talking about. Bellamy just raised an eyebrow at me.

"The smoke bomb. Leading the 100 into turmoil. Saying 'Whatever the hell we want'. Everything." Bellamy sighed, as if reluctant to give the answer.

"Well, of course, there are rumors about my family but a lot of them aren't true. What happened was, my mother couldn't afford two kids, especially living in a one-room apartment. One day, out of the blue, she left me home alone and took Octavia on a walk. She came back without O. My mind immediately strayed to the worst thoughts. She left Octavia on the streets, lost her, I even thought she killed her. But I knew, even though my mother wasn't the best person, that she would never be capable of the latter. We stayed about the same for a few years, very little food, one bed, until my mother enrolled me into Skaikru. You wouldn't believe my surprise when I came on my first day and saw Octavia, a sophomore. The last time I had seen her had been when she was nine."