Chapter 10

Clarke

"Why am I even here?  I hate reading!" Octavia yelled, throwing her head back in frustration.  She had a book on her lap on mythology, which seemed weird to me.  Octavia didn't seem like someone that read mythology.  

"Why do you hate reading?" I asked, truly curious.  Even though Octavia and I have been getting close, I still didn't know much about her.  I looked up at her from across the table and saw her looking down.  She seemed hesitant to answer my question, strangely.  How deep could a question like 'why do you hate reading' go?  

"My mom used to read mythology to Bellamy and I when we were little.  Before everything happened." I could see a mixture of emotions on Octavia's face.  Anger, sadness, jealousy.

I quickly looked away from Octavia, not wanting to make her feel awkward.  Suddenly, the chair next to Octavia's moved.  When Octavia and I both looked up, we saw the guy, Lincoln, pulling out the chair.  He sat down and smiled at Octavia, causing her to blush.

"Hi, Octavia.  Clarke."  He nodded at me respectfully, which I returned, with a smile.  Lincoln seemed like a nice enough guy.  He seemed very protective of Lexa, and he made Octavia smile like a mad woman, so I guess that's good.  

I had seen Lincoln always hanging around Octavia for the past day, much to Bellamy's annoyance.  Whenever Bellamy and Lincoln were in the same room, Octavia would disappear somewhere.  She probably just didn't want to get a lecture about boys from Bellamy.

"Hey, Lincoln.  What's up?" Octavia smiled at him.  Lincoln put his arms on the table, a book in his hand.  I hadn't noticed before that tattoos were drawn all over Lincoln's arms, wrapping up and down the muscles.  Now that I thought about it, most of the Grounders had tattoos.  Indra had one on her wrist, Anya had one on her neck, and Lexa had some on her arms and wrists.  I even saw one tattoo on Lexa's back, coming out of her shirt.  It must go all the way down her back.  

"I just saw you and I thought I might come over." Lincoln and Octavia laughed at the same time.  As they stared at each other for what seemed like forever, I started to get uncomfortable.  I felt like a third wheel, just tagging along onto their romantic moment.  

"I'd better go.  I need to draw." I said, getting up from my chair.  Octavia didn't even look back at me as I walked out of the library, two books in my arms.  I walked into the hallway, passing by Atom.  He waved at me half-heartedly.  He must be sad about Octavia liking Lincoln.  It seemed like when Lincoln wasn't tagging along with Octavia, Atom was there, as if trying to get Octavia back to her normal single state.  Poor, Atom.  

I walked through the entrance way and into the hallway for the dorms, my footsteps sounding against the wooden floors.  The sound of chattering voices had drifted away, long gone by now.  I was too far from the cafeteria to be able to hear anyone.  At this time of day, 1:00, everybody was outside or eating.  No one would be in the dorms.  I looked at the names pasted on the doors as I passed them.  

Jasper.  Adam.  Fox.  Max.  Andy.

Suddenly, with no warning, the door to my right burst open.  Finn's head popped out, surprised to see me.  

"Oh, hey, Clarke." Finn smiled at me, his straight teeth showing.  

"Umm, hey, Finn.  You ok?" Finn looked a bit distracted.  He was staring at me for a while, but he mind seemed to be somewhere else.  

"Yeah, I just thought you were Andy.  He said he would come back to his dorm fifteen minutes ago." Finn smiled again. "But, if you have nothing to do right now, I would love it if you came in for a little bit." 

Seeing as I really didn't have anything to do, I nodded my head, stepping past him into his dorm.  Finn walked in after me, closing the door behind me.  I walked over to his bed and sat down, taking in his dorm.  I had no idea how, since we had only been here for about a week, but Finn's room was a complete mess.  Clothes was everywhere, littering the floor, on the desk, on the bed.  Once the door was closed, Finn came over and sat next to me on the bed, trying to smooth down the sheets unsuccessfully.  I felt myself laugh slightly at his efforts to make his room look neater, although the only way that would be possible would be to dig through the layer of clothes on the floor.

"So, how are you doing?  I haven't talked to you in a while?" Finn asked me, scooting closer to me on the bed.  I ignored this and replied.

"I've been good.  I met Lexa and she's pretty cool.  The Grounders have been pretty nice with us so that's kind of surprising." I smiled back at Finn, but not one of my sincere smiles.  I think he could tell because he started looking at me calculatingly.  "How about you?" 

"Well, I haven't really talked to many Grounders." Finn joked, smirking. "But my day gets brighter every time I see you." Finn winked at me, getting even closer on the bed.  I found myself suddenly uncomfortable, and I wished that I had never come in here.

"Look, Finn.  I know where my feelings are, now." I hesitantly told him.  Finn raised his eyebrows, waiting for me to continue with my thoughts. "I like Bellamy.  As more than a friend.  And you as a friend." 

Finn stared at me uncomprehendingly for a minute, until he furrowed his eyebrows.  He looked confused, as if he couldn't believe I had chosen Bellamy over him.  

"Why don't you like me like that, Clarke?" Finn sounded hurt.  I was aware of his hand which had moved from the bed to my elbow.  I backed up an inch, but Finn just scooted forward again.  His hand was rubbing my arm now, as if he were trying to be comforting.  If he were trying to be comforting, though, he would just back up.  

I didn't know how to answer his question.  What would I even say?  What could I say when his cologne was breaking whatever thoughts I had?  Before I could process anything, Finn had leaned forward and was kissing me.  However, unlike the kiss with Bellamy, I didn't kiss him back.  Finn tried to deepen the kiss, but it was an impossible task since I just tried to push him away.  It felt wet and not at all gentle like the one Bellamy had given me.  This one felt desperate and rough.

I placed my hands on his chest and pushed, throwing him to the other side of the bed.  Finn looked shocked for a minute, registering what had just happened.  I stood up to leave, angry as hell, when I found my path blocked by Finn, once again.  His hands circled around both my wrists, holding them tightly.  I felt like I would lose my circulation.  He was just one inch away, he could easily close the distance.  His eyes were dark and he was smirking again.  He leaned forward just as the door banged open.  A Hispanic girl walked into the room wearing a red bomber jacket, black skinny jeans, gray t-shirt, and converse.  Her left leg was in a brace.  She had black hair that was pulled back into a ponytail and her skin had olive tones to it.  As she took in the scene, her brown eyes narrowed.

"What the fuck is going on, Finn?!" 

I'm struggling through writers block today.  I really hate it when this happens to me:(