Chapter 9: Oh, the Problems we Face

I can't believe this. I'm reading in my room, completely forbidden from going outside. I can't even get myself food! I have to have Hiccup come upstairs 3 times a day just so I can get food. And when I need the bathroom? Don't even ask. It's not enjoyable, let me tell you.
I've started reading the Book of Dragons. Hiccup let me read it, as he trusts that I won't steal it and bring it to the berzerkians or outcast island. It's actually very interesting. There's so many dragons he's come across. From a Thunderdrum to a Death Song. I've always loved the Death Song dragons. That is, until you're completely trapped in its "cocoon" awaiting to be eaten alive. Yeah.. fun times. Fuuunnn times.
There's a few even I haven't seen before. Like a Scauldron, and a Timberjack. Heck, I've never seen a Tightenwing Monstrous Nightmare.
I was looking through the book more until Hiccup came and brought me lunch. He asked if I was done with the book, as his father doesn't like the book being out of the house for very long for fear something could happen to it.
I told him I was done with it, and he took it back home with him when he left. I turned to sadness. Luckily, I had my companion, Nightwing, next to me, which made me a little bit happier. I always enjoyed his company. After a while, he grows tired and goes to sleep in the bat-like position. I never knew why, it's just his favorite way to sleep. I never thought anything of it though.
I sat in silence until I heard a loud crash from outside, like a plasma blast colliding with wood. I look outside from where I was, and I saw dragons everywhere. I started to attempt to get my wrist free. From trying to pry it off by slipping my hand through the cuff, or using Nightwing's blasts to make it come apart.
But it was no use.
It was dragon proof.
That's when I started to panic.
I frantically screamed for Hiccup and anyone who might be around, to which I was hoping someone was. I saw the others get on their dragons and fly off, only to be knocked to the ground by pure force a few minutes later. Including Hiccup and Toothless. I try to blast the pole I was chained against--I had a pole in my room for ceiling support--but that was dragon proof too. Almost my whole house was dragon proof. But.. it also had a fatal flaw.
Fire.
If any fire got on my house, the whole house would erupt in flames. Given the wood was only enchanted to protect against dragons, it wasn't exactly fireproof; so if a fire dragon hit my house, it would be done for.
Not exactly the best 'house survival' tactic.
I started to scream again, completely terrified as the flames got closer. Nightwing was trying to pry the cuff off of my wrist, but it didn't work.
Pretty soon, the fire hit my house. I started to cry.
"Hiccup... I'm sorry." I say, tears filling my eyes.
And with that, I saw everything go to black, and I passed out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hiccup's POV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I saw that (y/n)'s house was burned to the ground a few hours after the attack. I call Toothless and rush over there, with Toothless by my side. I burst the door open, calling out her name.
No answer.
I called her name in every room on the first floor, until I finally made way for the stairs.
I opened her bedroom door, only to be filled with smoke. I clear away the snow, and that's when I see Nightwing, laying where I'd assume (y/n) was laying not too long ago.
His whole saddle was soot black. Even his prosthetic auto-tail was burnt to a crisp. All that was left of his saddle was the metal wires that connected it all.
I start to tear up.
"No.. she.. she can't be. She's not dead. I know she's not dead. She wouldn't go down like this. She'd go down fighting."
I refused to believe it. I didn't want to believe it. My best friend was dead and I couldn't even save her.
'I couldn't even save my best friend.' I thought, a mixed feeling of emotions building inside me.
I only calmed down when I heard Nightwing moan. I looked at him, and he picked up his head, looking at me with eyes that only a protector dragon could have.
"Nightwing... I'm so sorry." I sobbed.
That's when it happened.
Nightwing opened his wings, to reveal an unconscious (y/n), enclosed within Nightwing's body to be resistant to the flames.
I ran towards her.
As I listened to her heartbeat, I faintly heard it.
I started crying tears of joy, and gently put my hand on Nightwing's head, careful to not hurt him.
"Thank you, for saving (y/n)." I say to him.
He gently licks me, as if it was his way of saying "You're welcome."

I bring (y/n) to Gothi when she's awake. I had been carrying her bridal style along the way, having her head rest on my shoulder.
It was quite comforting.
Since (y/n) was awake, she asked Gothi if she could have some special herb to heal her wound quicker. Gothi thought for a moment, then snapped her fingers, as if she remembered where something was.
Gothi went off to get it, and she hugged me while she was gone.
"You're feeling very affectionate today, (Y/n). Any reason?" I asked.
She shook her head. "No, I was just thanking you for always being there when I needed you. How you've saved me, more times than I deserved."
I chucked. "Well, of course I'm going to save you. You're my best friend after all."
After I said that, she smiles and her (e/c) eyes glimmer in the sunlight. Almost as if her eyes were as beautiful as the night sky, with each star shining as bright as stars could shine.
Gothi came back outside, and before she applied it, she warned it would sting by using her drawings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(Y/n)'s POV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She nodded and she started applying it, and she try to block out the stinging that was running through my upper thigh. I got through it by gripping Hiccup's hand, and Hiccup didn't seem to mind. I think I actually saw him blush a little.
'He looks so cute when he blushes' I thought.
Gothi finished applying the herb after a few minutes, and as we were walking back to Hiccup's house, my leg stoped hurting more and more. He had suggested I stay over there for a little while, as my house wasn't exactly safe to live in as it was all rubble and it looked like it could collapse on itself at any moment. Heck, as Hiccup was walking in he noticed how unstable my house had become.

We finally reach his house. Since Stoick wasn't in favor of letting us sleep in the same room, he had me sleep on the couch in the living room. I accepted, not wanting to anger the chief.
I put Nightwing upstairs with Toothless in Hiccup's room, where I grabbed a pair of pants and a shirt and decided to chance in Hiccup's room, as he was in the bathroom and I didn't want to change near the chief.
I was almost done--I still had to put my pants on--when I heard the door open, and Hiccup walked in. I was facing the door, and immediately I felt my face burn up and I quickly scrambled to put my pants on.
"C-could you knock next time? So I know to cover myself before you come in?"
He apologized. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were changing in here. But why here of all places?"
"Well, the chief is right downstairs and if I changed near my bed, he'd see me, and you were in the bathroom. So the only other place was in your room. I hope you don't mind..."
He started to walk toward me and I blushed more. He gives me a gentle, yet protective hug, as if to signify he wasn't letting anything bad happen to me. He lets me go after a good 6 minutes, except he keeps his hands wrapped around my waist. He slowly leans in, and I do the same.
Soon, our lips connect, and electricity bolts through every part of me. It's like... getting fully electrocuted, except it's... pleasant. Like you can feel power rushing through your veins.
We kiss for a while, only to pull away after a few moments.
"I've always wanted to do that.." Hiccup said. "Me too." I say as I smile. We say our good nights and head to our respective beds.
When I get downstairs, I go to lay in my bed, only to notice something gleaming in the darkness.
Piercing, blood red eyes stared directly at me.
I couldn't move.
I couldn't call out for Hiccup or Stoick.
I couldn't even think straight.
It's like this thing was hypnotizing me, but then I found I was able to move.
But I still couldn't speak.
Nor did I want to. I didn't know what this thing was. I didn't know whether or not this thing was going to hurt me.
The eyes started coming nearer. And nearer.
I still couldn't speak.
I was too... too terrified. Thats when I heard it.
A loud crash, both coming from upstairs, and outside. I knew a storm had come.
I then heard the sound of a dragon scream out in pain.
I only had one thought.
"Nightwing."