Chapter Seven

Credence was giddy as he walked back to the orphanage, a slight skip in his step. The date was amazing and he was finally happy to be courting Persephone. He softly hummed a smooth jazz tune that he had heard as he walked around the streets with Persephone and was in a dream-like state as he thought about her.
She was perfect in his eyes. Everything about her, even the fact that she was a witch. Credence felt a connection to her, he was a wizard as well. He saw that the lights were still on in the orphanage and made no connection to he fact that he was probably going to be punished for being out so late.
As he walked in, Credence saw Mary Lou standing in the middle of the room with a small sadistic smirk.
"Why were you out so late?" she asked in a monotonous voice.
He was instantly reduced to his closed-off self, "I-I wanted to pass out all my pamphlets before I got home."
She stared at him for a moment and then stuck her hand out.
Credence looked at her with pleading eyes.
"Ma, please," he said in a pained voice.
Her gaze was unwavering and Credence knew that if he didn't comply, it would be much worse for him.
He slowly undid his belt and saw Chastity coming down the stairs. They locked gazes and she ran back up, not wanting to see the horror that was their mother. Once his belt was finally undone, Credence handed it to her. They walked up the stairs to the place where he was always whipped and kneeled on the ground, tears already forming in his eyes.
Mary Lou stood behind him and smirked as she looked down on him. He looked back at her, a dark aura surrounding her entire being.
"I'm doing this to teach you a lesson," she said and smiled.
There was silence. And then a scream.
-
The next day, Persephone skipped out of her house giddily. Queenie instructed her to eat something better than a hot dog before letting her go on her way with a grin. She was so excited to see her sister in love.
The streets of New York were bustling, as per usual, and she made her way to her meeting place with Credence. It was where they first met because Credence was always required to pass out his pamphlets but Persephone always ended up burning them.
As she turned the corner, Persephone spotted the lanky but handsome boy.
"Credence!" she called out with a small smile.
The boy quickly flipped around to see the beautiful girl he had been adoring for quite sometime. Pain ran through him but it didn't phase him as his gloomy look brightened instantly.
"Seph!" he called out and opened his arms out, instantly wrapping them around her.
She grinned and wrapped her arms around him tightly.
Credence wasn't expecting the tight hug and winced as pain ran through his back.
Persephone felt him wince and pulled back immediately, frowning as she looked over him for injuries.
"What's wrong?" she asked and looked up at him.
He shakes his head and smiles down at her innocently, "Nothing."
Persephone scoffs and continues her search for possible injuries, but quickly stops when she sees a hint of a bruise dawning on his neck. She grabs his arm and pulls him into an alleyway, spinning him around and pulling his shirt up.
Credence was in slight shock as all of this happened, unaware of what was happening until Persephone found the lash marks.
"Who did this?" she asked softly and let go of his shirt, turning him around.
Credence felt weak and useless, he was suddenly reduced to the shy and fearful boy he once was. He said nothing and hung his head, mentally hiding himself from Persephone.
She reached up to caress his cheek but Credence just flinched away from him.
The flustered girl just clenched her jaw, and pulled out her wand. She glanced around to see if anyone was watching and the performed a spell, "Episkey."
The bruises on Credence's back quickly faded away and he instantly felt better. He looked up at her and sighed, making an internal decision.
"Mary Lou," he muttered and looked away in shame. 
Persephone's gaze softened as she frowned, trying to figure out why his adoptive mother would beat her own son.
"Your mother?" she asked curiously.
Credence nodded and Persephone wrapped her arms around him with pity.
"Why?" she muttered.
Credence weakly wrapped his arms around her and sniffled. He didn't know why his mother beat him, maybe he's just her personal punching bag. Regardless, he couldn't do anything about it. 
The two of them stood their in the alleyway, relishing in each other's company. The streets of New York attempted to interrupt their peace but nothing could break their bond at this moment. They were in their own world.

-

A/N: Hey, sorry I'm a day late. I had a slight writers block but I'm good now. I hope you enjoyed the chapter! <3 The Small Teaspoon.