Chapter Twenty

The person who steps out from the shadows is unexpected and has Persephone dropping her wand, tears appearing in her eyes.

"Credence?"

-

He stares at the young girl with a small smile.

"Hi," he mutters.

Persephone shakes her head, pointing her wand at the man.

"Who are you?" she says wearily, her eyes tearing up. "Is this some kind of sick joke?"

He shakes his head and takes a step toward her, but Persephone shakes her head and begins to move away.

"I'm going crazy, this isn't possible," she mutters and begins to turn around.

She continues to walk away until an arm wraps around her waist, pulling her back into the alley.

"Let go of me, you... ghost!" she yells out loudly.

"I'm not a ghost," he says softly and turns her around.

Persephone stares into the eyes of Credence with her tear-filled eyes.

"How are you here?" she asks.

"I'm magic, remember?" he mutters with a sly smile.

"This has to be impossible, Credence died," she calls out, tears dripping down her cheeks.

This was it, she was mad. Her two older sisters would have to take her to the hospital so that she could be under constant watch. Her mind had deteriorated, Persephone could not believe it. 

"I'm alive. The Aurors weren't able to kill all of me. I had a powerful obscurial in me. Somehow, some way, a part of me stayed alive and I didn't die,"  he explains and a rush of emotion goes through the young girl.

"You're alive? Really?" she asks, her voice full of disbelief. 

"I am, sweetheart," he mutters.

Persephone frowns, a small smile playing on the edge of her mouth from the nickname.

"How do I know that you're not an imposter?" she asks, shaking her head. 

Credence stands for a moment, thinking. He thinks about the memories they had together and decides on one singular moment. The moment he fell in love. 

"The first day that I met you when you approached me on the street. I knew you were different, and I could almost feel the magic surging through your bones. It is only now that I realize it was my magic that you activated inside of me. So I confronted you and you accepted me, talked to me. It was when you burned all of my pamphlets that I realized I was in love with you," he says, staring up at the girl that was once his girlfriend. 

Persephone officially broke down at that moment. Everything had been too much for her and she just needed something to be real for once. She needed Credence, and he needed her.

"I missed you so much," she whispers before wrapping her arms around him as tightly as possible. 

"I missed you too," he mutters, holding her closely.

-

After a while, the two thought it would be a good idea to sit down at a nearby diner to talk about what happened about a month ago.

"What happened after the Aurors destroyed the obscurial You were supposed to die. I thought you had," Persephone asks and quickly orders a milkshake from the waitress.

"I don't really remember, all I remember is appearing in an alleyway about a week after the incident. It was odd," he comments, asking for a cup of cocoa. 

"That is odd," she mutters and sips on the milkshake. "Well, all that matters is that you are alive and well."

"I wanted to ask you something, Persephone," Credence says softly.

"Yes? Anything," she stares forward at him curiously.

"Do you still love me? After everything I've done?" Persephone frowns and shakes her head.

"There is nothing in this world that you could do to make me stop loving you. Credence, you had no control over your magic. It is not your fault. But, now that you're alive, you can go to school and channel your magic safely."

He looks up at her with loving eyes. 

"You really think so?" he asks softly.

Persephone reaches across the table, grabbing his hand. She intertwines it with hers and smiles.

"You are one of the best things to happen to me.

"Ditto," he mutters and grins brightly.

After a little bit of catching up inside the diner, the two of them go for a little walk as the sun begins to set. Credence quickly wraps his arm around the young girl's waist, pulling her close as they revel in each other's company. It seemed like any other night where they walked around the city, together. That's all that mattered, they were together. 

-

After a while, they found themselves back at Persephone's house. The two walked up the stairs and tried to sneak past the older two sisters, but it is almost impossible to get past Queenie's lurking mind. When she felt two people come through the doorway, she dropped her wand on the floor in shock.

"I-Impossible, he died," the older Goldstein comments and runs to the front door. She stares in disbelief at the boy standing with her younger sister.

"Queenie, it's true. You must know that" she tells her.

Queenie slowly nods and sighs.

"Tina is gonna have a field day with this when she gets home," she comments and smiles sweetly at Credence. "Welcome back, sweetie."

An apple pie appears on the table and Credence looks at it greedily, hoping that he will be able to eat the beautiful creation that Queenie conjured.

"Of course you can have some, I made it just for you," she says and grins, leading him over to the table.

"Queenie, stop flirting with my boyfriend," Persephone says jokingly.

"Oh, that's what I am," Credence says while Queenie cuts him a slice. 

"Well, that's what I thought we were," Persephone mutters gently.

"Perfect," he says and smiles, pulling Persephone down next to him.  

Queenie serves the two of them a piece of pie and watches the beautiful young couple catch up. She thinks about Jacob and how she wishes she could have that with him. Maybe, one day in the future. But for now, it's the no-maj and his witch. 

-

Hello everybody, it's been a while. I'm so happy to finish this book. The end has been a long time coming. Don't worry, there will be an epilogue. But I would just like to thank everyone out there for getting me to 11k reads. That's amazing. I never thought that this story would reach those heights and I am eternally grateful. So for now, I love you all. <3 The Small Teaspoon.