7. Disappointment

I had finished delivering the messages and was flying swiftly towards the little town where I had danced the night away. After leaving the message center I had sent Raaf home to wait until I returned. Landing before the entrance to the town I retracted my wings and snapped my fingers. My white dress rippled into a short black dress with lacy sleeves and an open back so my wings could unfold if need be. My black open toe heels clicked as I entered the town. As I passed through I paid more attention to my surroundings. Seeing a sign I found that the town was named Piece of Heaven. I chuckled at the irony, an angel escaping heaven only to enter another.

I skipped up the small steps to the diner which I now knew as The Hideout. The bell dinged as I opened the door alerting the staff that I had entered. The same girl as last night was skittering from table to table in tall heels and tight skirt. Scanning the room I found that Mrs. Morrison was sitting at the same booth as last time. I  glided over my heels barely clicking against the black and white checkered floor. She only realized I was there after I sat down. Looking up from the book in hand, her face lit up when she  saw that it was me. It overjoyed me to know that I could have such a wonderful affect on somebody.

"Oh, dear, how wonderful to see you again. I thought yesterday was a one time visit."

"Me too! But I've found a place in the next town over and I just love this little town and it's festivities so I thought I'd come back."

"I'm so very glad, God knows we need a beautiful smile like yours around here."

The waitress walked over at that moment."hey! What about me?" She asked with her hand over her heart in mock pain. We all giggled in response to her humorous attitude.

"Now is there anthing I can get you?"

"Not this time, thank you though."

She smiled at the both of us and clicked away.

Mrs. Morrison spoke up,"that's Georgina, the poor thing eloped with a young man by the name of  Richard. He was a musician and you know how those young men are, flighty and irresponsible. Four months ago he took the money, the car, and his guitar and left her to take care of herself. She hides it well but I know she's hurting."

We both looked over at her joking with the other customers and working efficiently. A person wouldn't begin to imagine something such as that happening to her. Carolyn was right, she hid her pain very well.

We fell into a comfortable silence as I allowed my eyes to wonder the cliché cafe. It had booths around the walls and four round tables in the middle of the room. Eight round barstools were placed evenly down the white marble counter. Posters of old rock singers such as Elvis were hung up randomly throughout the restaurant. It has a quaint home like vibe to it. I could really learn to love a place like this. Over the time in which I was visiting with Mrs. Morrison the stranger never appeared in his table. In all reality though, I did not expect him to I would be looking for him at the dance, I felt sure he would be there to dance with me once again and reclaim his kiss.

Standing up I left the old woman's presence and walked out into the crowded streets where the dancing would soon commence. I waded through the crowds looking for the man. Anyone and everyone who noticed me would stop me and congradulate me on last nights performance and ask if I would dance again tonight.

Finally the music started, slowly at first but quickly picking up speed. I joined in with the majority of the townspeople present. I danced with a million people but the entire time my eyes shifted around me trying to spot the handsome, flirtatious man. As the night drew on a grew desperate and worried but instead of tripping and stumbling as humans would I forced those feelings into my dance. Each twist was that of a searching girl and each dip was of sadness for she could not find what she so dearly wanted. Once again the other dancers left me alone in the middle but this time the band transitioned into a slower song more fitting to my mood. Slower and slower it went until the song ended and I sank to my knees. One last time I scanned the people surrounding me but I could not find his brown hair and melting eyes. He didn't come.

I stood up and shook the sadness from my mind. He is not mine, I don't even know him, why should I be so sad at the lack of his presence? It's as if I'm under a spell, how could one human I barely know make me feel this way?

I thanked the band and the people as they complimented me but their words barely touched my ears before dissolving. Finally I made it out of town and snapped my fingers causing my black dress to zip back to my usual white and gold one. My wings rippled from my back and carried me into the clouds.

I landed on my doorstep and shuffled into my bedroom only to collapse into my bed. Raaf greeted me home with a soft peck on my cheek and then nuzzled into me comfortingly. I slowly fell asleep to his affectionate cooing in my ear.

----------

It went on like this for 2 weeks. I would go down expecting him to come and return home disappointed and each time Raaf would wait for me with a tissue in his beak. Even though I kept continually finding myself unsatisfied I couldn't help but keep going to Piece of Heaven, though I quickly found that he would not come and no longer needed the tissue I came home to. Being there every night did have it's advantages. I had become close friends with Georgina, or George as I liked to call her. Any night that she did not work we would go out and I would be her wing woman as we collected young suitors from the large crowd. Then there was Mrs. Morrison, she had grown to be like a grandmother to me though I was many years older than her. We could talk for hours at the cafe. Usually our conversations consisted of sophisticated subjects. As a younger  woman she had been a historical researcher and I had lived in many of the times she had researched though she did not know. Even with the let down of the stranger's absence I thrived off of the dancing. I could tell that St. Peter was curious but he never brought it up, probably because of my lightened attitude and rapt attention in my classes. It didn't matter how long things continued like this I had come to enjoy my daily routine. I could last forever like this with each night ending in a fun and exciting dance of a different style each time.