9. For the Love of Cinnamon Rolls

I awoke in a small cement room that smelled damp and moldy. Instead of my navy blue dress I now wore a small black slip. My hair felt matted and greasy. I snapped my fingers trying to change and fix my hair but nothing happened. I tried again but to no avail. I moved to look around but winced in pain. My body was covered in little scratches. Pushing through the pain even the slightest movement would cause, I crawled around the perimeter of the room. I found a metal door on one side and pulled myself up only to look through the bars into an equally dark hallway. My tongue felt dry and swollen against the back of my throat and my stomach ached in hunger. How long had I been out? That man would not get away with this, Peter would find out, or Amilla, or Lillith. Just someone, anyone please save me. At that moment I heard the jingling of keys as what seemed to be a guard walked down the hallway followed by two small, mousy girls in provocative maids outfits with short puffy skirts and a low neckline. The guard approached the door and I scrambled away ignoring my muscles screaming in protest.

"Ah, the alley rat's awake" he laughed as if he had made the funniest joke imaginable. He leaned in closer to the bars and I could smell his rancid breath from where I sat curled up against the far wall.

"Ya shoulda stayed asleep rat." He spat through the bars at me. His attention was diverted by the lock as he wrestled with the key to get it open. Finally it creaked open on rusty hinges and he turned the other way stabbing his thumb back towards me as he addressed the girls.

"There ya go, get 'er and an' get out."

Both of the girls scrambled to either side of me and helped me to stand up. while whispering to me in hushed squeaky voices.

"Sorry about this ma'am" the dirty blonde one on my left said

"Yeah, don't worry we'll get you all cleaned up." The thin brown haired one on my right spoke up. As she said this she forced a large jug of water to my lips, I chugged it greedily. The water barely did a think to quench my undying thirst.

The pulled me through the cement halls and reached a large metal door with the guard in front. He opened the door and allowed us to go through but I could feel his eyes mentally undressing me (what little clothing I had left, that is) as I passed.

We came out into a well lit corridor and I winced as the bright light caused a piercing head ache to blossom being my eyes.

After what seemed like eternity of them dragging me through hall after hall we finally reached a small door that the blonde one opened and the brunette pushed me through. Each of them followed in behind me and set to work moving things around and gathering things as I marveled at the room before me. A large bed with rich Maroon covers and cutrains was placed on one wall with mall loveseat at the door and an end table on either side. A gorgeous painting of the human fairytale protagonist Red Riding Hood glancing behind as if watching for something following her. The seen caused me to look obed my own shoulder but all I found was the two girls still scuttling about and the closed door. I another corner was a little reading book placed beside a window. A window! I rushed to it and looked outside the lawn outside was trimmed and neat and it spread to a high stone wall but behind that held a dark, thick forest and I shuddered just looking at it.

Small hands grasped my upper arm and pulled me from the window. I turned to find it was the blonde haired one leading me through another door that led to a bathroom it was nearly all black save for the Mario towels,occasional decoration, and the gleaming gold handles. The two girls had drawn me a bubbly bath and they started to pull my slip off. I grasped what little clothing I had left.

"Don't worry," the brown haired one assured me,"we're just going to bathe you and get you something fresh to wear, the more you cooperate the faster it's over."

I let loose of the black cloth and allowed them to pull it over my head and tug the black underwear off of me. They helped me to step into the hot tub of scented water. The heat stung my cuts at first, but as I got used to it the water soothes me as it lapped over my tense muscles. I did nothing but allow the two girls to wash my hair and run soapy sponges along my body.

After the bath had finished the blonde girl help me to step out of the tub and started drying me off as the other disappeared from the room only to return a moment later with another black slip. This one was the same as the last only fresh.

They pulled me from the bathroom and toward the bed. I collapsed into the bed and the moment my head hot hit the pillow I was fast asleep.

------

I awoke to the chirping of birds out my window. Looking around me I found myself still lying on the bed, but well tucked in. A large pitcher and glass sat on the left end table. In a matte of minutes the pitcher was bone dry. I stood up, my legs shake with the effort. It was then I realized that all my little scratches were completely gone. My skin was as smooth as ever. I wondered around the room looking in drawers and wardrobes, but they held no clothes or anything of importance. A heavenly smell reached my nose. I could practically taste the cinnamon rolls. My stomach stated my thoughts with a large growl. I glided to the door that led out into the corridor. Surprisingly it was unlocked and I was allowed to exit my chamber and follow my nose to the scent of cinnamon. Now that I was awake enough to comprehend my surroundings I was astounded by the medieval beauty of the halls. Paintings hung along the walls dark red walls trimmed with gold. I met two large wooden swinging doors and peered in through them.

Inside there were up to five different men and women bustling around the busy kitchen preparing a meal. I could see my hearts desire in a pan set aside on a counter. No one touched or even seemed to notice the small pan of four hot gooey cinnamon buns. They called to me with an enticing scent and before I knew it I was standing in the kitchen with one in my mouth barely chewing before swallowing the delicious food.

Everything in the kitchen froze. No sound was made as everyone in the room openly stared at me. Realizing my actions I dropped the cinnamon bun back into the pan and tried to clear the sugary icing from my red, blushing face. The silence was almost unbearable

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-, I mean I couldn't help-" I sighed, defeated,"I was really hungry"

All of the people in the room broke into smiles and a large man with chubby cheeks approached me. I could tell by his attire that he was the head chef. He seemed to have a jolly disposition as he walked towards me arms spread wide.

"Oh, do not worry, I love to see young ladies who can appreciate a good meal instead of grazing on leafy salads like cows." As he said this he pulled me into a hug then held me at arms length, looking me over as he laughed."and I do say, you need some meat on those bones of yours." He kissed me on either cheek and then waved a full figured woman to us.

"Take this little belle to the table and get her a plate for those cinnamon rolls, I believe the platter is for her."

The lady silently nodded and lightly grabbed my arm leading me to a small table in the corner and sitting me down. She then disappear into the bustle of people getting back to work. Moments later she appeared with a plate, fork, a glass of milk, and the pan of cinnamon buns. She set everything before me and served the cinnamon roll I had already started onto the plate.

"I am Mizz Heidi, the head chef who you spoke to is Monsieur Hugo. You are welcome in our kitchen anytime you'd like."

I stayed there in the kitchen for a few hours. Within that time I ate all four of the most delicious cinnamon rolls I had ever had. I also came to love the jolly personality of monsieur Hugo and the motherly passion of Mizz Heidi.